Wednesday, August 2, 2017

What I Remind Myself of When Getting Back Into Shape

Yesterday was chore day. So we had several loads of laundry to do. I was pleasantly surprised when I found J trying to fold the laundry while I was putting groceries away. This is a very rare occasion and I felt like it was important to document because who knows when this will happen again?? This cleaning/helping spirit didn't continue this morning when I spent the entire morning trying to clean the house while V followed close behind making another mess. 


After V's nap, I heard the girls playing with him and when I went in his room, I found this.  So glad they are all good friends (mostly).


We spent the afternoon playing with cousins and then we went out to dinner because J's birthday is this week and we wanted to do some celebrating! 


It's been a really long time since I did any weight training, and I had a full body workout planned but it took me way too long to get out the door to my parent's house (they have a small home gym in their basement) that I had to cut it down to legs and core.  


It turns out that cutting down the workout was probably exactly what I needed.  I didn't feel like I had pushed myself nearly as hard as I usually do, but I was EXHAUSTED yesterday.  I'm not sure what it is, but lately, I'm just SO tired! I was still glad that I did my workout at all.


I took a couple of weeks off while we were working on the camper. For the first few weeks I kept up ok, but the last two- three weeks of working on it I don't think I ran more than twice a week...if that. Normally, that wouldn't do much to my training but somehow this time it did. I feel slower, and more sluggish during the day. I also can't push myself as much as I was before I took the time off. 

There are things that I've had to remind myself over and over this past week while I've started back out with the running.  First, whenever I'm coming back from a break or when I feel like I'm out of shape, I have to remind myself that it's ok to take my time to get back to where I was.  It took time for me to get there before the break, and it will take a little time and work to get back there. When you take a break (especially when it's a break due to injury) don't expect yourself to pick up right where you left off. Be patient with yourself and enjoy the time you have to work your way back.  Don't let yourself get frustrated and give up because you're not progressing as fast.

Another thing that I do when I'm coming back from taking a break from running is to remind myself that in order to run well, I need to eat and sleep well.  When I take running breaks, I tend to stay up later than usual and I tend to eat more junk food.  If we don't take care of ourselves by eating healthy food or getting enough sleep we won't have the energy to do any kind of run.  I'm not saying I'm perfect at what I eat or that I sleep just the right amount every night...I'm a mom of young kids who enjoys junk food. Seriously if there's ice cream involved I'm eating it.  But when I'm getting back into a training routine I do my best to make sure that I'm eating my veggies and getting enough protein in my diet and I'm much better at getting to bed on time. I think there is a big connection in what we eat, how we sleep and running.  

Hydration! Especially during the summer. I'm terrible at drinking water. I have to talk myself into a glass of water through out the day. But if I fill a water bottle up with ice and water and I carry it around the house or take it in the car with me, I'm much better at drinking water. 

When I break the routine of running or working out in general, it's hard for me to find that rhythm again. I find this more so with weight training. I struggle to know what kind of workout I want to do or how far I should be running until I get back into the groove of things. So when I'm working towards getting back into shape or starting back up after a break, I tend to need to plan workouts out before I do them. Particularly with weight training. Otherwise, the time to workout comes and I have no idea what to do or where to go. Having a plan makes it super easy for me to see where I'm at in my training and also with making sure I don't over do it and injure myself. 


Everyone has a different way of doing things when they are working out again. We just need to find what works for us and get into a routine of things.

When you're coming back off of a break, what do you do to get yourself back into shape?

What do you do to make sure you don't do too much too fast?

What was your favorite chore around the house?







No comments:

Post a Comment