Monday, August 7, 2017

A Little Smile So You Can Enjoy Your Run More

This weekend started out with several little disasters in our house, all caused by one very micheivious boy. First, while I was getting ready for the day, V stole and broke the top off of my Mary Kay soft lips tube. I got over it quick because it was an old tube...I mean, old.


Then when I was helping J with her bracelet she was making, V stole my phone out of my pocket and ran off with it.  A few second later he came running back in and handed it to me "Ehh?" (which is his "here" sound) The protective screen was cracked.  But that's not even the worst of it.  A few minutes later I was helping M put some toys away and it got aweful quiet. When I found him he was holding a tube of tooth paste and there was some on the floor. Following the trail of toothpaste to my bedroom and on my bed. The quilt that my grandma (who died a year and a half after I was married) had blue toothpaste all over it. 

Worried it would stain I moved pretty quickly and didn't think too much. I threw it in the washing machine and when I pulled it out, the toothpaste was gone, but my entire quilt was no longer white. It was pink.

I hurried to post it on Instagram and text it to my mom and my mother in law to hopefully fix the problem.  After two days of hoping and praying that OxiClean and color catchers would do the trick,  it didn't. My quilt still has a pink tint to it, and it's now rough and faded. I cried.  And then I had Trevon put it away and get our non-important bedspread out so that if anything else got ruined it would be that one. 


Then we moved on to other things. We took the girls school shopping and got some really fantastic deals at Carters.

And I got in a run in the afternoon.  20 minutes on the treadmill helped relieve some of the stress and saddness from my quilt. 


Saturday evening we spent some time as a family, and we went to my parent's house where the girls played croquet and other yard games while we got to visit with my parents. 





It ended up being an ok weekend, despite a number of catastrophes that happened.  I kept trying to think of how Grandma would react and I could only picture her shaking her head and chuckling a little and then not letting it bother her more. It's easier said than done though.  They are just things, and in the end, they don't matter. My phone can be replaced and the quilt is still intact...just a totally different shade now. The Mary Kay probably should have been thrown away anyway, and now I can spend the rest of V's life wishing a boy just like him someday as a grandson. He really is a sweety. He knew he was in trouble and he snuggled right up to me to watch a Dorris Day movie (to make myself feel better) and he didn't move until I told him it was time for lunch.
________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, moving on.  The other day I was talking with a friend of mine and running came up (it usually does for me).  She mentioned that she saw a meme about how runners always look like they are mad or in pain. And I had to laugh because it's pretty much true.

I remember in high school my coach used to tell me to smile a little and have fun while I was racing. And I remember thinking "that's not intimidating..." But then thinking about it now, I think it probably would be a little intimidating to pass someone who is grinning ear to ear during a race, like it's nothing to them.  Maybe not...

Anyway. I was thinking about this on my run the other day and I decided to try smiling during my run. It's a little hard to hold a big smile and still get the air I need to my lungs, but I smiled a little. And I felt great during my run! And I also realized that when I run past people I know and smile and say hi, I tend to speed up a little. Is this because of actually smiling or just because I feel like I can't look like I'm dying when I pass someone? I'm not sure, but it helped.

So I made a goal to run the rest of my run with a smile. I did pretty good -- and felt really good the whole run. It did get a little hard not to get a little bit of a scowl on my face during my fast finish...but I did it. And it felt good.

So then I made a little goal to smile more often when I run from now on.  I'm wasn't sure that smiling scientifically does anything for your run, so I looked it up and it turns out it does And if nothing else, it helps you enjoy it more.



2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your quilt. Maybe a few more washes will get it back to normal? Though it's probably not designed to be washed all that often. Just remember that when your son is grown up you can always bring out that quilt and remind him of it. #mothersrevenge :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've thought of bringing it out to show him several times when he's a little older haha. Thanks for reading Debbie! Have a great day!

      Delete