Thursday, July 27, 2017

My Strengths and Weaknesses in Running

This kid is always super happy in the mornings...until he realizes he's hungry.  The first thing he usually does as soon as we get him out of the crib is make a B-line for either the toothbrushes or the utensils. 


Today the girls (and V, (and me cause I did most of the work)) earned our summer reading program prize.  So we went to the library and we got to pick a free book, get some fun coupons and I let them do the ISpy again. 


I maybe did a little persuading on the book choice. I try to let the girls make their own choices 100% with this stuff, but when they are trying to pick out a Spanish book and none of our family even knows Spanish, I had to do a little guiding. They didn't have a lot of great board book options for V, and we have a ton of those from the girls anyway, so I picked V one out for when he gets older...and for me to read because it's a good, easy read. If you haven't read A Long Way from Chicago, you should. 


Last night I finally got a run in. It's been a really busy 2 weeks of no running. But I'm so glad I got to go last night. I only did 3.5 miles, but the weather was beautiful. It was in the 70's (my happy spot) and the sunset was amazing. 



_________________________________________________________________________________

I had a lot of thoughts in my head while I was running last night. A run always helps me think and process.  I was feeling slow, and like I wasn't making a lot of progress in my training. And I had to remind myself over and over that it wasn't race day and I needed to take it a little easy.  

This is one reason I don't run with a watch, and I try not to look at clocks while I run.  When I notice a clock, I usually feel like I should be going a lot faster and I speed up. This has always been one of my weaknesses with running.  I've talked a little bit about this before (and I'm sure it will come up several times down the road) but if you want to PR on race day, you shouldn't push yourself to the max every other day.  


Anyway, last night on my run, I ran past a clock on a school marquee and I had to fight with myself to not go too fast for this run. Then it got me thinking about strengths and weaknesses I have while running. I have a lot of weaknesses in general so when it comes to running it's not hard to think of very many. I get impatient with myself, I don't listen to my body (well I'm getting a lot better at this one), I'm not great with sticking with a plan...I can go on. But when we play on our weaknesses, we don't do well with our goals.  It's good to acknowledge them and work on them. But we need to focus on our strengths in order for us to do well in what we want to achieve. 
For me, this means that I use my drive and my mind set to achieve my goals in running. I can be a pretty stubborn person, especially if I'm trying to prove something that people don't think I can do. So when I put my mind to something, I can achieve it, as long as I don't let my weaknesses get in the way. 
I'm pretty good at the mind game during practices, but when it comes to race day, I lose a little of that. It's something I'm working on. It's a self-confidence thing. And I think a lot of times it happens because I feel so confident after all my training, going into a race. But when it comes to race day and I get passed by one person, my brain starts to shut down and forget all the training I did and the confidence goes out the window. This is one reason hard runs are good for us. It helps us build up that mental power and if we remember all the training and everything we have learned, we will do well on race day. 
Listening to my body used to be a really big weakness for me, but I'm getting better at it. I'm learning to notice the nagging pains that mean small changes need to be made: new shoes, a break, better stretching etc. so that I can make it to race day without an injury.  Obviously, being healthy and strong will help us get to where we want to be for our race. 
My point is that we all have a lot of weaknesses, but we also have a lot of strengths. It's just harder to see those in ourselves sometimes. When we find our strengths, and we focus on that while working on our weaknesses, we will be stronger over all and we will reach our goals easier.

Are you a morning person?

What are your strengths and weaknesses?

What do you do to focus on your strengths?


2 comments:

  1. Love this post! You are so right about focusing on our strengths instead of dwelling on our weaknesses. This might sound weird but when I'm running I think about parts of my body that feel strong and are not hurting. I think about how I'm pumping my arms, breathing in deep, and how lucky I am to be able to run.
    I'm definitely a morning person...I am always way more productive when I get up early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great way to focus on your strengths! I can't say I've really focused on that but I can see that would work really well! Thanks for reading, hope you have a great day!

      Delete