Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Cabin day and working out away from home

Yesterday was a holiday for us in Utah, but Trevon had to work. So the kids and I took a trip to the cabin for the day.  Every year around my grandma's birthday, we do a work cabin party.  Everyone goes up and works together on a project that needs to be done at the cabin. Even though Grandma is gone now, we still wanted to celebrate her birthday just like normal. Clearly, we were all excited to ignore the chores at our house for one more day.


This year's project was washing the windows and fixing one of the beams on the deck.  Not as big as the years past. (We've built a rock path, built a doc, laid cement around the fire pit, fixed the wheel house, etc...)  After helping with the windows, we let the kids run around and V and I did a lot of swinging. 

The girls took turns with my sister and mom on the paddle boat. I didn't dare take V on it because this kid is BUSY! I'm sure he would have tried to jump in the water. 


After lunch, we helped cleaned the cabin up some more and headed home. We had a big to-do list to work on after camping and playing, and V didn't seem to be feeling great so he needed a good nap. Turns out they all did. 


_________________________________________________________________________________

It's been about 2 weeks since I've done any running.  Normally when we go camping, I make sure to get a run or two in, but this time it just didn't happen.  There are other ways we got our miles in though.  I thought I'd share a few ways, today, to get some exercise in even when you're camping and don't have access to a gym, or can't get a run in during vacation.

One of my favorite ways to get some mileage in while I'm camping is to go on hikes.  I remember in high school, our head coach would always tell us we could count half of the mileage of our hikes towards our weekly miles.  I'm not sure why he made us cut it in half.  I feel like (depending on the hike, of course) you can work just as hard hiking as you can running, especially if you're at a higher elevation.  But I'm sure that there is a good reason that he had us do that.  

When we got camp all settled, the first thing Trevon did was take the girls on a little walk and throw around some big rocks...that doesn't sound like a whole lot of exercise, but it is a workout.  Not only walking and climbing around but picking up and throwing big rocks is definitely a workout.  If you want to read more about this kind of workout, I suggest looking into MovNat.  

Working out while camping is a lot like working out at home. Sometimes my mom even brings some of her weights to use during down time. But even without the weights, you can still do things like lunges, squats, jumping jacks, and any other body weight workout during down time. One thing I like to do is use the bench around the fire pit (or a log) as a step. You can do step ups with it and lunges. You can even do balancing exercises with it.

The more and more I try to find good reasons not to do some kind of workout, the more I find there aren't a whole lot of excuses to not workout.  Now that schedules are starting to get back to normal, I'll be able to start getting my running back.


What do you do, when you are away from home, for exercise?

What's the biggest excuse you use to not workout?



No comments:

Post a Comment