Friday, June 23, 2017

What To Do When You Get Tired While Running

Yesterday's big accomplishment was saving this baby bird. We went out to get in the car and the girls saw it and couldn't stand to leave it there where a car might run over it.  The next is up in our carport and you can't get to it, so we did our best. We made a makeshift nest out of dead grass in a tin can and set it in the shade as close to the nest as we could.


When Trevon got home, he made a smaller nest up by the mama's nest and it worked! Mama found the baby and it's still chirping.


This morning was a speed workout. It's been a while since I've done a speed workout outside, and my shins were not wanting to run on pavement, so I headed to some grass by our house and did some intervals. 30 seconds on, 20 seconds off for 15 minutes. 


 Then I finished the workout off with some planks.





----------

Do you ever start feeling extra tired in the middle of a run?  You can feel your back start to slouch and your arms start to hang low, your legs don't seem to want to move another step?

Every so often I'll be on a run and just hit the wall.  Then it's not only a physical workout but a mental one.  There are a few things you can do to push through those runs, and while it doesn't make your workout seem like a breeze, they will help you finish.

One of the things that really helps me power through my tired runs is to stretch my arms out above my head and stretch my back a little bit. It kind of helps to reset your posture which helps you have more energy. Sometimes I stopping and stretching your muscles will help give them the last little push you need.



When my legs don't feel like they can move another step and my feet start to drag, I make sure my arms are moving.  When I started running competitively, I went to buy some shoes, and the owner of the store had me try shoes on and watched me run to make sure I was looking for the right kind of shoe for me.  While I was running he noticed that my arms were swinging leading with my fists. So the next pair of shoes he had me try on, he also had me put on this little elastic harness around my arms (like you're putting on a backpack) that hand holes to put your thumbs in by your shoulders. Then he had me run again and explained that it was helping me lead with my elbows instead of my fists, which gives you more power. He said, "Now when you start to feel like you're dragging and getting tired if you'll lead with your elbows and keep swinging your arms, your legs will follow." It's never failed me, and I've never bought shoes anywhere else.

The other way I push through the tired runs is by playing mind games with myself. I'll set a point and tell myself I only have to keep going until that point. When I reach that point, I set another one, until I get home. Or I start counting my steps, turn my music on, paying attention to my rhythm of my breathing.  Sometimes I also purposefully run in a place where I know that people who know me will see me (It always helps to have someone see you and cheer you on.) The other day I was running in my old neighborhood and I was getting to a point where I wanted to take a break, and then I heard someone yell "Good job cute Jenny!" And that's all it took to keep me going the rest of the way. The fact that 1. someone was excited to see me running and 2. I didn't want them to see me give in to the weakness, helped me keep going until I was done.

When all else fails it is 100% OK to take a break when you need it.  Sometimes having these kinds of runs is our body's way of saying it needs to take some time off or that we didn't prepare ourselves enough (drinking enough water, eating the right way....) for our run that day.


No comments:

Post a Comment