Monday, June 26, 2017

What Running Does for Me and Weekend Highlights

The other night was a camper night. We worked on the camper from 7:00 until 11:00 with a break to put kids to bed around 8:30. (I'll post some good inside pictures of it soon).



If you're wondering how we get anything done on the camper with 3 small kids, it looks kind of like this.


And we, luckily, have some pretty great neighbors and the kids all play outside together while we are out there watching them and working. She sent my this picture while we were working on the camper. 


Because we got to bed so late (and then had kids wake up all with bad dreams last night) I didn't have the energy to get up and do my hill repeats that I had planned. But we must have worn the kids out playing because they all slept in, which never happens in our house. J and V are normally up by 7:00 AM and then M shortly follows that. Once they woke up, I decided we should do some kind of small workout for the day. So we used our Google Chromecast and looked up a youtube workout for kids and adults. 


We also looked up Chicken Fat (a really old workout for kids) and did that one too. My girls love to do Chicken Fat. 

After we got our workout done, breakfast in and some chores done, we decided it was time for a picnic with the cousins at a park near us.  V doesn't let much phase him. He's pretty fearless...which is good and bad. But his first time down the slide, I think he was a little unsure of until he got done. Then he wanted to keep going. 


We noticed the sprinklers were on and let the kids go for it. It was the perfect way for them to cool off and run off some energy. J didn't want to get wet, but she was brave enough to run through a couple of times. 


It was a toss up, but I think M got the wettest. This girl was soaked to the bone! 



--------------------------

I saw this quote on Facebook the other day and it made me think of all the things running does for me. 


It's always been amazing to me that I can be in the worst mood all day and as soon as I get out on a run, my entire day turns around.  Running helps me sort out so many things in the tangled mess that my brain is sometimes and all my emotions can be straightened out nicely after a run. It doesn't cure my problems, it doesn't change the things that happen, but it changes the way I think about them and that helps me cope with things better.  

Running has always been there for me and always will be. A lot of people feel this way about old friends.  I have friends who will always be there for me to talk or to give advice, and I love every single one of them, but sometimes when I can't find the words that I need to say, the first friend I turn to is running,  (does that sound pathetic?) 

When I need to feel better about myself, a good run is sometimes all it takes. It lets me prove to myself that I am good at something. I'm in control of how fast I go, where I run to, and when I get out there.

There are a lot of things that can do this for us, but for me, it's running. 

What is something that changes your whole day around?

What's your favorite way to cool off on a hot day?

Highlights from the weekend?







No comments:

Post a Comment