Wednesday, June 28, 2017

My Favorite Time of Day


The other day I was trying to get ready for my workout while the kids were still not in bed yet. Normally I will run while they are still asleep in the morning, or when they go down to bed at night. But sometimes, when I know it's going to be a long run, or I have plans to meet someone or I feel like I won't go at all if I don't get going now, I'll go earlier and Trevon will put the kids to bed.  This particular night was an "It's not going to happen at all if it doesn't happen now." kind of night, and we had let the girls stay out and play a little longer than bed time. I was getting frustrated and impatient. One of them asked me what I was doing and I said very impatiently,  "I'm getting ready for my run. Because I have done everything for you guys today and nothing for me. And now it's time for me to do something for me." It still took another 15 minutes to get out the door, but at least it happened. 

Some mom's favorite time of day is nap time, or when their husband gets home or when their kids head off to school, (I love all those things too) but, mine is my workout. It doesn't matter what time of day it is, when I'm working out and taking care of myself, it's my favorite time of day. (Selfish?? eh, if you're not taken care of you can't take care of the kids, right?) 


I saw a quote a while ago that said something like "my favorite time of day is when I go running. Because somehow exhausting myself is the most relaxing thing..." I don't know who said it, but that was the main point of the quote and I totally relate. 

V is at a really hard stage right now. He is into EVERYTHING. This morning he got into the bath with the girls, fully clothed, while I was running into the bathroom right behind him. He's quick and mischievous and curious. I try hard to give the girls all the attention I can, too. 



So on the days that I workout at night, I sometimes struggle to feel like heading out the door or doing anything but relax on the couch. But, I never regret doing it.  And once I get started I am always reminded that running time is my favorite time.

Last night's workout was weights.  I did a 15-minute speed run to start, and then I focused on arms and core. It was one of those nights that I just had to push myself through the whole workout. My body was worn out and didn't want anything to do with it. But I'm glad I pushed myself. 


Tonight is my long run and then we move on to morning workouts for the week. I'm surprised how much I'm liking morning runs, and hopefully, I'll keep enjoying them that much because it really does make my days better. 

What is your favorite time of day?

When do you prefer to workout?


2 comments:

  1. You go, girl! I'm not a mom, but I have the utmost respect for moms who prioritize not only their families, but also their health in a way that makes both better. Thanks for sharing the realness of the effort it takes to even get to the point you can start a workout! So many people take it for granted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Not all days take that much effort but definitely more now that I have little s around. Thanks for readying, have a great day Madeline!

      Delete