Friday, June 30, 2017

Increasing Your Running Mileage

Yesterday was my off day, so we spent the evening running camper errands while the girls played with the neighbors. They had a rolling down the hill contest. We didn't end up getting anything for the camper, but we did get some good ideas and big progress is coming! I can't wait to do the reveal.


This morning started out with an easy paced 5-mile run. (I'll talk more about that later). Then we filled the rest of the morning with chores. Some of which have been pushed out of the way and into the back of my mind for too long.  V thought he was being such a good helper by pulling out the folded clothes and putting them back in the dryer. 


Despite the little helper, I got a lot done this morning. I'm guessing that has something to do with me getting my run in early instead of waiting until night to run.  Then the girls met up with their friends and played on the front lawn for a while. I sneaked a picture of their cute little group out the window. 


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So like I said I did a 5 mile run today. YAY! that's been a long time coming. After having V, I have had a hard time getting back my mileage that I had before I was pregnant with him. I'm not where I was, or where I want to be, but hitting the 5-mile mark is a big step. 

I'm not the only person who has had a hard time adding mileage to their running schedule, so let's talk about endurance for a little while. 

How nice would it be if we could wake up and say "I feel like running 5 miles today" and do it on the first day we start (or start again) running? It would be fantastic, but that's not how it works. There's a lot of work, sweat, time and some pain to get there. I think that's one of the best things about running. Seeing the things your body can do. Noticing that you're able to do things today that you weren't able to do yesterday. Seeing the progress in yourself is worth all the work in the end. 

Here are a few ways that I add mileage to my run and strengthen my endurance. 

1. Like so many other things with running, it starts with making goals. It helps me focus on the smaller goals and not bite off more than I can chew all at once.  I start off by adding one mile extra at a time. Once I hit that goal, I work for one more mile after that. And that doesn't mean all in the same run. That means over the course of a week or more I'll work on that goal.

2. I move my run outside. Not everyone can do this, and thank heaven for the treadmill because some runs just wouldn't happen at all without it. But for me, it is so much easier to go further when I don't have a stop button in front of me. When I'm outside running and want to stop early, I remind myself that in order to get home, I have to run there anyway, so I might as well finish. It's also a lot easier for me to stay interested when I'm not staring at a TV, or wall, or the numbers on the treadmill. 

3. Slow down. When you want to lengthen your run, you can save a little energy with a slower pace, and use that for your extra mileage. Adding mileage will, in turn, help you increase your speed on your shorter runs.

4. Increase your daily mileage. That doesn't just mean running. Get out and move more often. Go on walks or bike rides. Cross training is a good way to help you increase your endurance.

5. Tell someone where you're going. Not only is this a safety tip we have all learned since we were kids, but this is a helpful little tip if you are driven by keeping your word. 

6. Get a buddy. Running buddies are good for more than just adding mileage, but it is super helpful to go further when you know someone else is counting on you and working with you.  You can help push each other through your hard miles. 

7. Don't get discouraged. Sometimes when we want something so bad, we get discouraged when we don't meet our goals. I've had this happen so many times and it usually leads to a burnout. Remind yourself that everything good takes time. Recover from that run and try again with your next run. 


What's your mileage goal right now? 
       Since I just hit 5, I'm working toward 6!

What is your most productive day of the week?



2 comments:

  1. COngratulations on your run! I completely agree with your tips for working up mileage! Especially telling a running friend how many miles you intend to run and then it holds you accountable when you get tempted to quit before you're done. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel more accountable telling a friend (even if it's a friend who isn't all that interested in running) because it sounds way more impressive than me saying "i gave up". Thanks for reading!

      Delete