Thursday, June 22, 2017

How to Avoid Side Aches and other things

Today I want to share a little bit about running with side aches (because I've dealt with that a lot) but first, here are a few pictures from yesterday.

I'm not sure what it is about laundry baskets, but these kids think they are the greatest seat. I didn't even have time to finish putting away the clean clothes before these two climbed in to play. V is getting really attached to his blanky now. And it's probably one of the cutest things I've seen when he carries it around everywhere. I'm sure in a year or so, it won't be as cute and I'll be complaining about it. 


We are kind of in a waiting stage on the camper. We didn't get to do much work on it last night because we were waiting for some plaster to dry before we can move on to paint. So I decided that I would finish some sewing so that I would feel like progress was still being made. I made this pillow to go with the rest of the pillows on the couch/bench.


I've had some pretty tight shoulder muscles lately, and a big knot that comes and goes. So I've spent a lot of time working it out with part of Trevon's body wrench. It's amazing what I can get out with this little ball. 




Yesterday was stinking hot! Utah has finally decided that it is summer time. I was worried that my run would be unbearably hot (It was my evening run), but by the time I was getting ready to go out, the wind blew a storm in and it cooled things down just enough to be comfortable. And I got to see this beautiful sunset. 


At the end of my run, I saw this guy wandering the sidewalk. I scared him pretty bad and he ran up the side of the hill. It's not very often you see a deer down this far into town, but it seems like it's happening more and more. 


---------

There are a lot of things I would change if I could go back to my high school races. I feel like I was pretty ignorant about the way running works and what not back then.  I would probably do a lot more research and a lot more listening than I ever did. 

One of the biggest problems I had while racing in high school was that I always....almost always got a side ache. Probably at least half of the time.  There are so many things that can cause a side ache, and I think that's why it makes it so tricky to prevent them. You could have eaten too much before your run, or you didn't have enough electrolytes. You could have had too much (or not enough) to drink before your run. Sometimes rapid breathing can cause a side ache. There's just so many things that can cause it. 

So because there are so many things that can cause side aches, here are a few ways to try to prevent them.

First of all, I've heard a lot that drinking pickle juice can help, I don't recommend this. Even for someone who loves pickles, drinking the juice wasn't a very pleasant experience and I don't even think it worked for me. 

Eating:  When it comes to eating a meal before a race or a run, don't over eat and make sure that you have time to digest. During my morning runs, I usually don't eat at all until I'm done unless it's a race. If it's a race day, or if I'm running in the evening, I try to make sure that I'm done eating 2-3 hours before my run. 

Warm up: Ah, let's add this to the list of things I'd do differently in high school...and something I should do better at now. Warming up helps do so many things for your body, and this is one of them. Warming up before a run preps your breathing for your run. 

Strong Core:  Having a strong core can help support all your organs so that nothing is getting pinched. It also helps prevent extra movement for your trunk, which can help prevent cramps and wasted energy. Just one more reason to work on your core muscles

Control your breathing: This one is an obvious tip, but it can be forgotten, especially if you run with your headphones in. Try it, start your run off without music and see what your breathing feels and sounds like. Try to make it even. Slow your pace down if it's sporadic, your breathing should have a good rhythm to it. 

If you do get a side ache,  slow down and stretch it out. Stretch your arms up over your head, stretch to the side. Take some deep breaths. Run out your side with your arm as you jog slowly. Once it's gone you can pick your pace back up again. The better in shape you get, the less you'll get side aches. 


How often do you get a side ache?

If you could go back to high school what would you do differently?

















No comments:

Post a Comment