Thursday, June 8, 2017

How I'm Going to Become a Morning Runner

In the 20 years that I've been a runner (I started when I was 9 in the Hershey Track Meets), I've never found a good morning running routine. I never felt like my body was awake enough to get much out of a morning run. Sometimes when I run in the morning I'm more congested, my teeth, ears, and nose aches. I could think of a thousand excuses.... But I'm at a point in life that I need to learn how to be a morning runner, at least a few mornings a week, in order to keep progressing and to be able to just get a run in.  

As I thought about becoming a morning runner the other night, I was scrolling through some blogs and found an article that Amanda Brooks wrote on her blog, Run To The Finish about exactly that. The benefits of running in the morning. If any of you are thinking about becoming a morning runner, you should check her post out. She talks about all great things that running at the beginning of your day does for you, and then shares some ideas of how to become a morning runner. 

So I decided I would give it a try. Here's how I'm going to try to become a morning runner:

I'm going to start by going to bed a little earlier. I don't know why, but it seems like since I had V, I can't get out of bed before 7:00 anymore.  Even when he's sleeping through the night. But I'm going to go to bed a little earlier so that I'm still getting enough sleep when I need to wake up for a run.

I'm going to set my alarm away from my bed. Most of us use our phones for alarm clocks now, the problem is, when they are so close to my bed that I can just turn it off and fall back to sleep, I don't get up. Trevon's been doing this with his phone lately and I'm going to have to try it too. I'll set my phone somewhere across the room so that I have to get out of bed to turn it off anyway, then I'm already up so I might as well get going. 

Sometimes we can get out of bed and going but it can still be hard to feel motivated to workout when you don't have a workout plan that you're excited for. When I was going to my class at the gym, it was easy for me to wake up to go because I was excited about it. So, I'm going to have my run planned and mapped out so I can look forward to just going. 

The first few morning runs are going to be easy pace and distance. I know that if I feel crappy on a run, I don't want to do it again the next time. So until I can get in the groove of a morning run, I'll be taking it easy.  

Giving myself a little extra time to wake up. Instead of heading out the door the second I'm ready, my body needs to wake up a little bit.  I've never been great at warming up before I run, but I'm going to start that now. Jumping jacks, plyometric exercises, even just some stretches can help my muscles wake up. (Hopefully my brain too).

(one of the only pictures of me running in the morning...because most races are in the morning anyway.)


Favorite time of the day to workout?

What helps you get going in the morning?



No comments:

Post a Comment