Monday, June 5, 2017

Birthday Weekend and Running Music

Happy Monday, let's catch up from the weekend.

On Friday we had some errands to run, so we stopped to get donuts for National Donut Day.  On the way home, the girls decided it would be way more fun to eat the donuts with cousins.  They were right.

The rest of the day was spent playing. We love living so close to family because cousins make the best friends. 

The rest of the weekend was spent birthday-ing for V's first birthday! I can't believe he's already a year old.  Out of all the kids, his first year certainly went by the fastest. The grocery store we go to gives free birthday cakes for one-year-olds. So we always get one for their cake smash.  


V wasn't sure what to do at first. But he really enjoyed the frosting once he tried it. His expression is almost always the same. Don't be fooled, he really did enjoy it.



He took a little stroll around the yard in the middle of the photo session. He probably got a burst of energy from all the sugar. 


We finally got a smile out of him at the end. 

Then, Sunday was his real birthday. So after church, we had a family party. This time I made the cake, and he didn't smash it, we ate it. He's not really into anything in particular...he's only 1. But we did his bedroom in airplanes and his dad and I both like airplanes so we did an airplane cake.  You would not believe how hard it is to find a toy airplane right now.  It's just a little ridiculous. I'm positive that a year ago airplanes were everywhere. This year after going to four different stores, and Toys R Us twice. We finally found this one. 


He then got spoiled by grandparents and aunts and uncles. He wasn't really sure how to unwrap anything. I think because he mostly gets told no for ripping things. 


His favorite thing he got at the moment was his ball pit. He spent a good 45 minutes playing in this after his party. He would have kept playing in it, but it was bedtime. 


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to talk about some running stuff today. It's been a while since I've shared anything about running on the blog. Usually, when I run, I turn my music on so I can drown out my breathing and any negative thoughts I'm having about running or pain.  Then a couple of weeks ago, there was a day that my kids had been pretty noisy, and a little difficult and I really just wanted some quiet. So when I went on my run, I kept my earbuds in my RooSport and had a quiet run. I felt so good the whole run. I was able to concentrate on things that my brain needed to process through. So a couple weeks later I did it again. When I had my outside runs, I didn't listen to my music.  This helped me realize that sometimes it's better (and healthier for me mentally) to not try to drown out the stuff in my head. Sometimes doing that doesn't help me solve the things that a run can normally help me solve. 

When I do my speed work or run on a treadmill, I still use my music. It helps me keep my pace. It helps me not get bored and push the stop button. Sometimes it's just nice to listen to music. There's definitely a time and a run for music. And sometimes your music can use a little update to help push you just a little harder...like mine does. Here are some of my favorites at the moment:

Shut up and Dance--Walk the Moon

Can't Stop This Feeling--Justin Timberlake

Immortals--Fall Out Boy

Love Runs Out--One Republic


Do you listen to music when you run?

Favorite running song?

What was your weekend highlight? 




No comments:

Post a Comment