Thursday, May 26, 2016

My Favorite Banana Bread and You'd Think I'd Learn

I love it when the girls play well together. I don't love the mess, but at least I'm not breaking up fights or telling them to stop crying and whining.


By now you'd think I would have learned that if the girls are playing nicely together, don't interrupt them. Because if I tell them it's time to clean up to go to the store or something, they are both super cranky by the time we get back and instead of playing, the fight the rest of the day.  Does this happen to anyone else?  I like getting my errands done as early as possible, but I should learn that instead of stopping them, just to let them play until the fighting starts. Maybe that way, the fighting will be done by the time we get to the store and they will play nice again after that...but maybe not. I wouldn't know because I seem to keep making this mistake. 


Like today, I stopped them from playing to go to costco. These beautiful strawberries were just one of the things on our list. We go through strawberries like nobodies business. So it's totally worth buying this giant box of them. 

When we got home, we had lunch and then the girls fought for an hour about what movie to watch for quiet time. I told them if they couldn't stop fighting and decide on one together, they would do quiet time in their room instead. Magic, the agreed on a movie after I said that. 

I love having more than one kid, but sometimes I can see the appeal in just one...less fighting and arguing, but there's much more time and attention given as a parent, where you can have them entertain each other when you have more. 

Last night, I decided to use our bananas that were starting to go bad to make some really yummy banana bread last night. I'm not a big banana fan, but this banana bread is a different story. So I thought I'd share the recipe with you today.


1/2 Cup shortening
1 Cup sugar
2 eggs
3 TBS milk
1 tsp vanilla 
2 bananas
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 bag of chocolate chips (optional)

Mix shortening, sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla with a hand mixer until smooth. Mush up bananas with a fork and mix them in the batter. Add flour and baking soda and mix until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips with a rubber spatula. Bake on 350 for 1 1/2 hours.  You could sub out the chocolate chips for nuts, if you're weird and that's your thing, or you could leave them out all together. 

This is my favorite banana bread, and besides banana pie, my favorite ways to eat bananas. This bread makes a perfect treat or breakfast side, and it's great to give as a thank you gift.  This was my breakfast this morning, a couple pieces of banana bread along with some chocolate milk. I didn't even need butter or jam on this bread, with the chocolate chips, it's perfect the way it is. 


Also, I got my first VoxBox in the mail the other day. I'll do a better review on it soon, but for now I'll just say that I'm loving the Suave cocoanut oil for my hair. 


What's your favorite way to eat bananas?

Moms, do your kids fight after disrupting their play time for something else?



2 comments:

  1. Yum! I never think to add chocolate chips to mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try it. It's delicious.

      Delete