Tuesday, May 3, 2016

How I Workout in my Third Trimester

Today we ignored our to do list almost completely. We got a few random things done around the house...and laundry, but most of our day has been spent relaxing and playing. I've had a little cold and between that and pregnancy, it doesn't leave a lot of extra energy in my body. Luckily, I'm starting to get better now.  



I've been loving my stainless steal pans so far. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like everything I cook in these looks prettier (even just mac and cheese) than in my old pans. And it makes cooking look cleaner, anyone else notice that?


After lunch, we needed to get out and enjoy the nice weather, so we went to the park for a little while. Their favorite thing is to swing. So we spend a lot of time doing that when we go over to our little park. They could probably spend an entire day there if I'd let them...but theres hardly any shade, and my allergies were pretty bad with all the pollen in the air today, so we came home after about an hour.





Now I want to switch topics a little and talk about working out in my third trimester. It has been a lot tougher than working out the rest of my pregnancy. Mostly due to major pelvic pain. I mean, pain that makes it hard to even roll over in bed or stand up after sitting down for too long.  Most days I do fine with this once I'm up and going, keeping those muscles loose seems to be the key in my situation.

I said no more running at my 7 month mark, and I miss it more than I ever remember missing it before. But since it's not an option right now, I've been fitting in workouts in other ways. Morning classes at the gym have been a favorite of mine for the last 5 years. Although it's not super easy for me to wake up at 5:30 in the morning to go to them, these classes make it super easy for me to find a workout schedule and stick to it. I also have a great instructor that I love to go to because she always gives us ways to modify when we need to. In my case right now, it's just about everything that needs to be modified in some way. For me, a great instructor is a key to having a good time in a class.



Now that it's warmer outside, and light longer, we like to take evening walks before bed time.  This doesn't happen as much as I would like it to, but when we can get out, we do. It's good for the girls to get some fresh air, and it's good for everyone to be able to get up and move a little bit. Walking has never been something that I considered exercise until I started having kids.  Now walking has become a more frequent way for me to say that I've exercised. We walk with friends and cousins, we walk as a family, we walk to the park, we walk to get the mail, I even count going to the store as walking and getting a little exercise.


My parents just recently finished their basement and they made a special room for their little gym. This is great because I can go over anytime and let the girls play while I get a few minutes of a workout in. Right now, the only thing in there are a few weights and an elliptical. But ellipticals are way easier to workout on than treadmills while your pregnant. The other day I decided to go over and try it out. I forgot how hard you can work on one of those! I did a quick little Tabata exercise (Tabata is a kind of interval exercise, but you can use it for a lot of different things. Usually it's 20 seconds hard, 10 seconds of rest). I did two small tabata sections and in between I'd get off the elliptical and work on my arms. It was enough to get my blood pumping and get my workout in for the day. And it was more than just walking around.



Another way to exercise, doesn't really feel like exercise, is stretching. I've already talked about how I don't do the yoga thing. I can't get my brain into it and it just feels like it takes too long to me. If you love yoga, do that! Do what works for you. It's easier for me to do some stretching on my own with what ever music makes me feel calm or just while I watch TV. Stretching has helped a lot with my pelvic pain and helps me feel like I'm a little looser and can move around a little easier. And we all know that at this point, that is a big deal. Stretching my back out and my legs out help me have better posture and help me not feel so sore and restricted as I get bigger. HERE are a few ideas on stretches and small workouts you can do to help with labor and help you get through the rest of your pregnancy.


These stretches are helping my hips out a lot as I get closer to having this little one. Today I did them while the girls played at the park. 



Are you pregnant? How far along are you?

What do you or your kids love to do most at the park?




3 comments:

  1. You're amazing! When I'm pregnant, I pretty much stop all things that require movement. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I exercised up until the day before I gave birth to all three of my kiddos! The elliptical and the pool were where it was at! :) You look beautiful! Enjoy those sweet baby kicks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With my last one worked out until the day before too. I'm hoping to keep it up. Only a few weeks left!

      Delete