Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Sledding and Apple Sauce

We spent the day on Saturday sledding at my grandparent's cabin. As everyone knows, I'm not a big winter/snow person, but I have to admit, we had fun.  The weather was actually quite warm, and it was really nice to get out of the yucky Utah Valley air and up into the clean mountain air. 

This was M's first time sledding. I think she liked it. But she mostly enjoyed eating the snow. 

J was a fan of all the winter things. She played in the igloo, went sledding, and got to go out and walk a little on the ice. She didn't love that it was cold though and went inside to warm up several times. 

Cabin parties are always fun. There's always a ton of people there and that also means a ton of food. No one was hungry by dinner time.


Today I decided that Mondays may be my busy days, but I feel the most productive on Mondays. While I was thinking about that, I decided it is because Monday is my morning work out. I don't do well running early in the morning, but I like my morning gym class. 
Once I'm done working out and getting myself cleaned up, I feel like I can get a lot of other things done. I do laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning up from over the weekend and a lot of other things. Today I even got all fancy and made our own apple sauce. 


I've never been an apple sauce--or an apple person in general, but this was pretty good. And it made my house smell wonderful all morning. A bonus, my girls liked it way more than the store bought stuff. You can see the recipe HERE.  


This week we have to get back to normal. We already took down the Christmas decorations (and now my house feels so clean), and J starts back at school tomorrow. I'm excited to get back into a routine, but I'll admit that I'm not super excited about dropping her off and picking her up.  We live next to a private school which gets out at the same time I leave to pick J up. The traffic is terrible! Parents end up parking in the middle of the road to wait for their kids. It's a little ridiculous that I have to wait 3 minutes to pull out from a stop sign right by my house. Something needs to be fixed there. It will still be nice to get back to a routine.

How was your weekend like?

What's your favorite fruit?






5 comments:

  1. We always make our own applesauce, and it's about a zillion times better homemade than storebought. Our grocery store often has packages of apples on their "reduced" rack that have soft spots, etc - but it doesn't matter for applesauce so I usually buy a ton of them and make applesauce. Where we lived I used to have a friend that gave us cart blanche on her apple trees, and I have to admit that having all that free applesauce was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to be doing it way more often. I didn't know that it can last several years and I just got a whole bunch of canning jars so I'm sure I'll be doing this more often.

      Delete
  2. I have never made my own applesauce, but it does sound fancier that way! Maybe I'll have to give it a try. That snow looks great. I wish we had some here in Ohio. I just booked a ski trip out to Colorado, so I'm looking forward to going out West in the near future!
    Taking down the Christmas decorations is on the to-do list for this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could send you some of our snow, I would. We are supposed to be getting a whole bunch more this week. That's all good for the mountains and water supply and all, but I'm just ready for outside running weather and nice warm temps!

      Delete
  3. I've never been an apple lover myself, and in fact I don't usually crave fruit in general. However, my favorite fruits are in the melon family: watermelon or cantaloupe. I also love mango.

    ReplyDelete