Wednesday, January 27, 2016

At Home Workout

Last week I had a really off week when it comes to healthy habits. It started out by eating a whole pan of brownies by myself. After that I felt really crappy the next day. I couldn't run because I didn't have a running belt. So, on Thursday, while J was at school and M was napping, I decided I'd better do something about the whole thing. It'd been since Monday since I'd done any kind of exercise.

I couldn't go to the gym and I couldn't go run, so I got dressed and did these things that anyone can do at home for a quick work out.



I warmed up with jumping jacks, and then stretched a little.


Next I did a 3 minute hover squat. This is one of my favorite ways to work my lower body. 


Then I did 10 push-ups. I modify these half the time because my shoulders are one of the weakest muscles on my body and, even though at one point I could do 100 full push-ups, now it's hard for me to do more than 20 modified push ups. Baby steps to get back though.


 To get my heart rate back up, I did what I like to call a stair set.  There are so many different things you can do with stairs for an at home work out. For this stair set, I did plyo lunges on the first step.

Then I did walking lunges across the length of our living room, followed by another set of push-ups.


For more cardio, I did some mountain climbers. I can't tell you guys how much I hate mountain climbers and burpees.


To work on the shoulder strength I was talking about earlier, I did arm circles. Once set circling forward, a set back and then holding them isometric (not moving them at all).


There isn't a whole lot of options for working out your back when you don't have equipment at home. Or at least I have a hard time thinking of back exercises for at home work outs. So I did a bridge for 3 minutes to work my hamstrings, glutes, and lower back. I went from holding the bridge, to pulsing, to full movement. 


Another round of stair sets for carido. This time turning jump squats with one foot on the step. This one was a little hard to get pictures of since it was such a tiny space to do these. But it worked. 


I finished the stair part of this work out with lunges. Then I finished the work out by holding a plank. It was only a 30 minute workout, which is perfect for the amount of time I had before needed to go pick J up from school. It helped me feel way better about things after those brownies. And I was a much happier mom when I was done with it. It's amazing how much better my day goes after a work out. 

What is your favorite way to get a little workout in at home?

What gives you a little boost during the day?







10 comments:

  1. Don't be too hard on yourself about the push ups. You're now lifting another person, remember!! When I need to work out, especially getting back into a routine after babies are born, I do exactly what you did, but my routines are shorter (maybe like 20 minutes) and I do them in my PJs. Otherwise I get all dressed and then someone is screaming. I steal whatever time I can get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be so tricky working out at home with kids. One reason I haven't done a ton of it. But I think I've got a little system down now as long as the stars all align I'm good to go.

      Delete
  2. These are some great at-home workout moves! I prefer working out at home over anything else because I can be alone and do whatever I want. I love to use workout DVDs and even workout video games on the Wii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents have a Wii and their games are fantastic for quick work outs. Especially when you're pregnant or have to modify things. I've been thinking about getting a few work out DVDs just to keep on hand for home work outs.

      Delete
  3. One thing I've wanted to do is get a treadmill for at home workouts. I feel like I would be happier being able to run indoors when the conditions aren't as good outside.

    I wouldn't be too hard on yourself about the pushups. I think we all have our strengths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A treadmill is something I would like to get too but don't have the room for at the moment. I can see if being much easier for me to get a run in when it's cold and I don't want to walk to the clubhouse or go to the gym.

      Delete
  4. Great ideas for home workouts! I'm not a gym girl. I would much rather workout at home. I'm thinking about doing some yoga in my family room. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only have the option of working out at home and walking around the neighborhood with my kiddos. So I have3 workout DVD's that I alternate each day. My favorite is the weightless yoga DVD. It has 4 different yoga work outs and I do a different one each of my yoga days.

    Great work out post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good ideas for working at home. For Christmas I got a fun new machine to replace my ages old (but still great) treadmill. I got a Bowflex MaxTrainer and have been having fun letting it kick my trash. I also like to do Just Dance sometimes. I'm sure I look ridiculous, but it's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It certainly sounds like you stay active and busy! My workout at home is pretty simple. I have to start off with a protein shake of course, then I will do some sets with my weights, 100 sit ups, 100 pushups, then go for a three mile sun with my dog. It's simple, but it gets the job done.

    ReplyDelete