Monday, November 9, 2015

Happy Cooking: Book Review

Growing up we never had cable (and I honestly never cared that we didn't). So when we got married, and we started renting our own place that included cable, I was pretty quick to think it was fun to watch certain channels. One being the Food Network. Giada at home quickly became a favorite. She's Italian and she cooks a lot of great italian dishes, as well as a lot of other fun, healthy stuff.

When we had J and we moved into our current place, we have cable once again.  J really loves watching "the cooking show" which is Giada, when I make dinner.  It's almost a daily thing that she asks to watch it. And while sometimes I say no, I don't mind her watching stuff like this in hopes that it will peak her interest in cooking dinner every night for her future family.




So I found this book and I took the chance to receive it in exchange for an honest review.  When it came in the mail, I flipped through it and was not disappointed. It's beautifully done and there are thousands of amazing recipes in there and a ton of great pictures to go along with them.

I do have to say that some of the recipes take a little longer and a little more work than others. And some recipes use ingredients that I don't keep in my home.  So, if you're not a wine or coffee drinker, be prepared to substitute.



I can't tell you how many times I've looked through this book and wished I could just make that food appear on a plate in front of me. This pregnancy has left me with little energy to cook good meals.  However, last night I did make her chicken parm, and while I'm sure it's better when she makes it, I didn't have fresh herbs and grape oil, so it didn't turn out as amazing but still good.

This book doesn't give a ton of really clear instructions. It uses words and cooking terms that I'm sure make sense to professionals or more experienced cooks.  There are some words that I have to look up to find out exactly how to do that.



All in all, this is a pretty good book, I plan on using several of the recipes out of it.  And along the way it will be a good learning experience.


Do you have a favorite Food Network Star?

2 comments:

  1. I watch the Food Network all the time and I love Giada's shows. I also love Barefoot Contesa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J loves watching Barefoot Contessa too.

      Delete