Thursday, September 24, 2015

Treadmill Fail and Speed Workouts

Last night, my sister in law, Laura and I went for a run at our clubhouse.  We'd planned a speed workout on the treadmill for the day.  The reason we do some of our speed on a treadmill is that it's really easy to keep track of miles and pace and all of that stuff. Plus, when you do a speed work out on the treadmill, you can't slow down with out realizing it, which sometimes happens when I do speed outside.


The thing about our clubhouse is that it's not as nice as clubhouse weight rooms sometimes are.  We have three treadmills, which is great. But, out of the three treadmills, one works great.  You can't even run on one of them with out the belt slipping and you tripping, and the other one works well, except for the belt needs to be replaced because the traction is all worn off on it. So two of the three could cause injury if you're not careful.
We've told this to the HOA several times (you'd think if we are paying them that much money a month, they could get something fixed), They almost never even respond.


Last night while running, a fuse blew and all the power went out.  At least we had gone through most of our workout. This is the 4th time this has happened.  At least this time we only had 2 minutes left of the whole thing. After shooting the HOA board a quick, frustrated email, they finally responded today only to ask what my name and address was... This better mean I'll get some kind of thank you for saving someone from falling on the treadmill along with them fixing it. But I doubt that.


So we are rearranging our work outs.  Because there's no promise that the power at the club house will even be back on by our next speed workout.  So we are going to be doing several different speed workouts outside.  Farleks, intervals, hill sprints, and tempo runs. If we can find a free set of stairs we might do that too.

Speed workouts are important at this point in the game. With only two and a half weeks to go until our race, we need to get the speed workouts in to cut our time down and, hopefully, get a PR.

Running selfies are much easier when you don't have a headphone cord in the way 

I guess it will be fun to incorporate different speed workouts into our routine though, if we are looking at the positive side. Plus it's been really nice weather so at least we get to enjoy that for a little longer. (Please bless that it will be warm-ish the morning of race day--I hate running in the cold).


How many speed workouts a week do you do?

What do you do when you don't have a treadmill?

4 comments:

  1. That is so frustrating that the treadmills don't work! I used to belong to a gym that had about 10 treadmills and only 2 or 3 of them really worked. All the others turned off at a certain point or squeaked or did something else ridiculous. I hope your HOA gets on it! When I don't have a treadmill I usually just head outside or to the local track for speedwork if it's on the schedule. Good luck on getting your PR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the worst? I usually hate the treadmill but I really suck at holding a speed for more than one interval otherwise. Definitely something I need to work on. So much to the track I go!
      Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. Speed workouts are better on the treadmill because you can't slow down. I agree! That is super annoying the power went out. I like running outside too though. I sprint blocks or to mailboxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. Yesterday we ended up just mapping out a quarter mile around my neighborhood and sprinted that and then jogged a block for recovery. It went pretty well.

      Delete