Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Finding Motivation to Workout

Things that de-motivate me from running:

Bad weather. I hate running in the cold so winter kills me in the motivation area of running.

Not enough sleep. I think anyone who isn't well rested doesn't feel enough motivation to do anything.

Burn out. This happens when I push myself too hard too fast or when I don't take a day off now and then.

Lack or running buddy. Sometimes when my running friends are not able to run, it makes me want to just skip for the day.

Bad eating habits. I never feel good when I don't eat the right amount of food or when I eat nothing but junk. I know that the run is going to feel awful so I never want to do it.

Time of day. For some reason, my favorite time of day is around 2:00-3:00 pm. I hate running in the morning and if it gets too late at night I'd rather read a book or watch tv.




So what do you do when you don't feel motivated to run? How do you find that motivation? Here are a few ideas for you.



  • Make sure you get a good nights sleep.  I usually try to make it in bed by 10:30 pm, if not earlier.  Especially on the days I know I'm going to be waking up early, then I try to get to bed by 9:30.  It might make you feel old and boring when you go to bed that night, but your work out, and the rest of your day, will feel much better if you get a good amount of sleep. I try to shoot for 7-8 hours every night. 




  • If the weather is bad, you have two options: Suck it up, dress up properly and go anyway.  And go running inside. The treadmill can be boring. I know, I feel that way sometimes too. But if you hate running in the rain or snow or any particular weather, running inside can feel ok.
    If the treadmill makes you crazy, schedule your run during your favorite TV show or podcast and watch/listen to it while you run. Make it your little bribe to yourself. 





  • If you feel your approaching a burn out, it's ok to take the day off. Try not to take too much time off, you don't want to lose everything you've gained in running. But, it's ok to take a day off if you need it. Let yourself rest, maybe do some low intensity, at home work out. Do some stretching and take the break.

  • If you have a hard time eating right, there are so many things out there that can help you.  I like to have the junk food now and then, and I don't feel there's anything wrong with that. But most of the time, I try to stock my house with good, healthy food so that I have healthy snacks for us.
    Make sure you eat every meal. And I don't just mean a granola bar and juice for breakfast. Eat something that will sustain your energy and help you eat better the rest of the day. When you have a good, healthy breakfast, it's easier for you to make smarter eating choices the rest of the day. 


  • If you do best at a particular time of day, try to make that time of day work. If you can't always make the time work, then remind yourself through out the day how great it will be to finally work out later. Or if you struggle getting up in the morning to work out, remind yourself when your alarm goes off how much better and more productive your day will be after.


  • If you're struggling with motivation in general, get yourself a work out buddy. Or at least someone who would hold you accountable.  If your running buddy can't make it, call or text them to let them know how far you're going to go. That way you'll feel like you need to do it. If you feel like you still don't want to do it, sometimes you just have to force yourself to do it. "The hardest step for a runner is the first one out the front door." It's not always true for me, but sometimes it is. And when I have those days, I find that if I just buck up and do it, I feel so much better once I get going. 




What demotivates you from working out?

How do you stay motivated?

2 comments:

  1. Great tips! Cold weather definitely makes me want to stay inside instead of going to work out! One thing I like about CrossFit is that the people there keep me accountable and will always ask why I missed a day. Getting good sleep is something I've struggled with this week and probably will for the rest of this semester with my weird work schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having someone to answer to or that holds me accountable is one of the best things for me when it comes to working out.

      Delete