Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Mixing Up the Speed Workout

The other day I was in the mood for a speed work out that wasn't on the treadmill. We do a lot of speed on the treadmill because it's easy for me to keep track of how far we have gone or our pace. But treadmills get boring.  It'd been a while since I'd done a Fartlek work out (like, since high school).  So I decided that's what we'd do.

Since my running buddy hadn't ever done this type of work out, I explained to her what it was: A type of interval training. You jog for an amount of time, and then run at race pace for an amount of time.


There are a lot of ways to do this work out. The most common way is to do a pyramid. So you jog for a minute and run for a minute, jog for three minutes run for three, up to 10 (or how ever many you can do) and then count backwards.  It's a hard work out, but it mixes things up and it ends up being kind of fun.


Because it had been so long, we only got up to four intervals before we were done.  Next time we will push it a little harder.

I don't have a garmin, or any kind of watch for that matter, so I downloaded an app on my phone called Interval Timer. It has an alarm for running, jogging and breaks. So that made it really easy for me to tell them when to start. Although it doesn't show you how far you've gone or anything like that, it tells you how long you ran.  So I wish that was different.


When M sees me in running shoes, she gets a little obsessed with putting the ends of my shoe laces in the extra holes, like this:




Sometimes I forget she puts them like that until I'm done running and working on stretching and I see it. 

And this funny little girl also likes to just wear my shoes around when she can. Little bit of a proud mommy moment for me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment