Monday, August 10, 2015

Eating Healthy and a Book Review

For the last little while I've thought a lot about eating "real" food or just eating healthier in general.  Anyone who knows me well, knows I love food and I don't like the idea of going on a diet or limiting what I want to eat.

I'm a healthy person, I certainly do not want, or need, to lose weight, I sometimes have a hard time keeping it on. (Which, to some sounds amazing, but let me assure you that sometimes it really stinks.)  I don't feel like I need to go on a diet. I just don't want to eat a lot of crappy, frozen, pre made foods that hold me over for a couple of hours before I get hungry again and that have little nutritional value.

Some days it's really nice to have those little cheat meals though, because in all honesty, I really hate having to worry about lunch somedays. After getting the girls food all ready for them to eat, I just don't even what to think about what I want to eat so I'll find something quick.
I feel like we do really good with this kind of thing for breakfast and dinner most days, it's just the lunch.

And just to be clear, I don't eat crappy food all the time.  I eat crappy food when I'm being lazy or when I'm in a hurry. I like my fruits and veggies but I also really enjoy a piece of cake or a bowl of ice cream. I like to have a junk food option and I'm totally ok with that. I think that junk food is completely fine in moderation.  I'd never turn down a bowl of ice cream or anything like that.



But while thinking about eating "real" food, (what is real food anyway? As opposed to my daughters imaginary/plastic food? But really, what's the difference between an apple and an organic apple. They both came from trees and they are both healthy fruit...) I found this book on Blogging for Books and I thought I'd give it a try.



This book is chucked full of great smoothie recipes.  Green smoothies, desert smoothies, fruit smoothies....all the smoothies. I read a review on it before I received it that said that most of the smoothies contained things that you can easily find in your home already. So I thought that was great because I wouldn't feel like I had to spend an arm and a leg to eat a little healthier.

As I looked through this book, I realized that the ingredients in there are not all easily found in your pantry. For example, who has cold pressed avocado oil laying around? And what is lucuma powder even?   To be fare, not every smoothie in here has this kind of stuff in it, but most do.

I figured I needed to try at least one smoothie out of this book to give a fare review on it. So I went with Strawberry Kiwi Candy.  It had: Orange juice (mine was not freshly squeezed because I don't have money to buy all those oranges and time to freshly squeeze them) Kiwis, plain yogurt, and strawberries. There are optional boosters in all of the recipes but I opted out of those because I don't have flaxseed oil or fresh basil, and I don't even know what camu powder is. Even with out those though, the smoothie did taste pretty good.



The more I started looking through to find some other recipes to try from the book, the more I thought: why do I need a smoothie recipe? I know how to make one anyway and then I wouldn't have to buy random fruit that would hopefully get eaten. I could just buy what I know I like.

But I do need to try new things. So I thought maybe I'd try the Brownie Batter and maybe the Mystical Mango or the Apple and Mango Madness because that has mango in it.



This book has a ton of pictures in it though. Every single smoothie has a beautiful picture next to the recipe along with the nutritional facts per serving and what kind of things each smoothie will help you with (energy, immune system, protein, detox, etc...) So that was kind of fun to look at.  And it helped me know what it was supposed to look like when it was ready to eat. In my opinion, every cookbook should have at least one picture of every recipe. Otherwise, how do I know if it looks good?

It's put together really well.  The book itself looks clean and healthy.  Everything is well organized and easy to read.  I do wish that there was a table of contents that was just for ingredients. For example, if I were thinking: Hey, I have some peaches I need to use up, I wish I could go somewhere in this book and find a list of the smoothies that had peaches. That way I wouldn't have to look through all of the recipes to find one with a peach in it.



I can see the appeal for some in this book.  People are starting to find ways to eat healthier, and this would be a good book for someone who needs help with knowing what kind of things to eat or what tastes good together.  I just don't think it was for me. Dang it.


On to finding more ways to eat a little healthier. Anyone have some good, really easy, really cheap, no brainer, quick lunch recipes for me?  The biggest problem is that I don't want it to take forever and I want something that I already have. I don't want to have to meal plan lunch AND dinner.


If you're interested in what I've been trying lately, well, probably the healthiest lunch I've had lately is either rice and chicken (leftovers from dinner the night before) or tortilla chips and some guacamole. Maybe a sandwich.  Clearly I need help with this stuff.



What is your favorite thing to eat for lunch? (seriously, ideas would be great. I'm not a vegetarian, vegan, gluten free or paleo. I just like food, except for fish. I don't like fish)

What is your favorite fruit?

What is your guilty pleasure food?


No comments:

Post a Comment