Friday, August 7, 2015

A Birthday Recap

This week was J's birthday. She's getting so big, I can't believe she'll be going to preschool next month!

We had a little birthday party at my parent's house for her.  It was a really easy, laid back birthday party. No games or anything, just cake, ice cream and presents.  Like any good mom, I forgot my good camera, so all of these awesome pictures are from my phone.


J is really into princess stuff right now, and she asked for a princess cake. I'd never made one and I thought it would be super easy to do. And it was but I made it too hard for myself.  This cake looks pretty good for being frosted and unfrosted three times.  The frosting was too runny, then it wasn't the right color, and the cake cracked and then the doll sunk in over night. So this poor cake ended up like this by the end. And I said "good enough".




Here's what I learned about making this cake (and probably any birthday cake that I make..I wish I'd remember these lessons.)


  • Just use the good frosting recipe, the wilton's thick frosting recipe that I learned when I took a cake decorating class. It's not worth the time and effort to make the other frostings thick enough.
  • Maybe practice the cake before hand.  I tried a tutorial online for this cake, and I should have just listened to my Aunt when she told me it works with just ONE BOWL. Not two like every other tutorial did. 
  • The tutorials are done by professionals most of the time. That's why their cake always looks perfect.
  • Don't do a purple dress. J really wanted Repunzel, but do you know how hard it is to make purple frosting? It almost always turns out gray or too bluish or more pink. 



The thing that matters is that J liked it.  I look at the cake and see all the flaws but it's what she wanted. And as long as she's happy, it's good enough for me. 


She loved all the presents she got. We got her some books, a Repunzel doll (can you tell who her favorite princess is?), and a new doll house family. 
If you don't remember, we made her a doll house for Christmas, we got her dolls and furniture to go with it. We over estimated the sturdiness of the furniture and the durability of the dolls. Half of the darling wood furniture has been broken and fixed and re-broken, and the doll's hair looks like Frankenstein, that's not an exaggeration either. So this time we went with plastic. Doesn't look quite as cute in her doll house, but it's much more durable and will last longer. 




My mom took her out to get her birthday gift the next day and this is what she came home with:




a toy iron and ironing board....what? I'm really glad she did. It's cute and easy to clean up. I'm just super surprised that's what she chose. I tried to think of the last time she's seen me iron, because I don't like to iron at all. Maybe this will help me iron too. She's ironing the cute dress she got for her birthday from her cousins too. 

She also got a back pack and lots of art stuff, J loves to color and paint and everything like that, and dress up shoes (tangled, of course).




All in all, it was a successful day. I can't believe how fast she's grown up. This little girl is the smartest, cutest, sweetest 4 year old I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment