Tuesday, August 25, 2015

20 Minute Block on the Treadmill

The air quality has been seriously hurting my running plan for the week.  The people on the news keep saying that it's still "safe air", but...


There are usually mountains there. You can't even see them. It's due to some fires, I believe in California. I ran outside for my first run of the week, and it was really hard to breathe, stupid asthma.  So I've moved the rest of my work outs inside. 


One of my favorite treadmill runs is a 20 minute run that I do. I break the 20 minutes up into groups, there are a couple of different ways that I've broken the time up, today I'm going to share one with you.



First block: 5 minutes, warm up pace. For me that's about a 6.5-7 or about a 65% of my full speed. 

2nd block: 2 minutes at a good pace, I usually put it up to 7.5 or 75%.

3rd block: 2 minutes speeding it up to 8.3 or 85%.

4th block: 8 minutes slow and steady, back down to 70-75%

5th block: 2 minutes back up to 85% 

6th block: 1 minute sprint or 90-100% 




Obviously you need to change this to you. My speed will not be the same as your speed so you have to play with the blocks and the speeds to find what works best for you.

I like this work out because it helps me figure out how to pace myself in a race. After doing this 20 minute block run several times, your body finds a really good rhythm and it will remember that on race day. It's also really easy to adapt to fit you and your personal needs. 


As I was finishing my work out I started slipping a lot.  I kept thinking there is no reason I should be slipping around this much.  When I got off the treadmill and did my stretching I noticed this. 


Sure enough, the tread on my new shoes is already run down.  I haven't had this problem happen this fast since high school, but thinking about it now, I have been running at least the same amount as I did back then so my shoes will wear down quicker. But I swear I just got these! I guess I know what I'm getting for my birthday this year. 



Hopefully soon the air will clear and I'll be able to run outside more with out worrying about dragging my inhaler around. I hate that thing. Until then, you can find me on the treadmill for my runs. There will have to be a lot of switching things up, TV watching, and good music to keep me sane on the treadmill.




How do you adapt your work out for the weather/air quality?

Do you have a favorite indoor work out?

How often do you get new shoes?




2 comments:

  1. I really like how you blocked out that run! I'll have to try it if I ever get back into running more often. I've never had problems with air quality, so I can't imagine what that must be like. It doesn't sound pleasant that's for sure! I hope it clears up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily the air has cleared up really well so I'll be able to get back outside to run! Gotta enjoy it while I can before it gets too cold.

      Delete