Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Long runs, Gels and Chafing Cream

Thursday night was a long run for me.  I knew I'd get way too bored running on the treadmill the whole time, so I started my run outside.  I did the first 5 miles around the neighborhood and then headed indoors.


It was hotter than it normally is when I run so I had to stop home to get some gatorade and water before heading over to finish on the treadmill.  (Thank heaven that Fixer Upper was on again. It kept me mostly entertained the whole run.)


At about mile 8 or 9, I started to feel the tired and the pain.  So I took one of these Cliff energy gels. I have to say, I don't like the texture much at all.  I had to gag that right down with some water.  Next time I try to find something to help I'll look for some kind of gummy. But for now it worked ok.



Mile 10 is when I started to feel a little big like cement legs.  My hips down were starting to ache. Clearly I haven't run this far in years and that was before I had babies. I pushed through to 12 miles though.


The good news is that I tried this chafing cream where my arms rub my shirt seam, and that worked beautifully.  No smell, invisible when it goes on, and I had no chaffing. I will be using it again for sure.



I got home and showered and when I went to bed I thought of Squishy on Monsters University. Right after they finish the first round of the scare games.


Have you ever used a foam roller?  The other day Trev brought home some PVC pipe to make  DIY foam roller. So I used it before bed, and it felt amazing. I'll be doing that a lot more. 


Tonights run calls for 15 miles. Yikes! I can do hard things.  

No comments:

Post a Comment