Monday, July 6, 2015

Family Trip to St George

The last week of June, we took the kids down to St. George to spend the weekend with my parents and my sister and her family.  My girls were so excited. J didn't talk about anything else the whole week until it was time to load up and get going.


Driving with kids is hard. So we were sure to pack a ton of snacks and entertainment as we could.


 I put everything in separate bags and boxes and then put it all in our Costco tote to keep it together. That made it really easy to know where things were when the girls wanted something different and it still kept everything organized and clean. (as clean as road trip entertainment can get.)  We put it on the floor between their seats and ours. The girls could easily look down and see what they wanted so that I could get it for them.


We got down to the condo we were staying at Thursday afternoon. Once we got all of our stuff settled, my parents took us to dinner.  Then we spent the rest of the evening relaxing and waiting for my sister and her family to make it down there.  The girls had been cooped up in a car all day so they were glad to get out and play with Grandma and Grandpa.


On Friday we had our beach day.  If anyone has been to Sand Hollow, you know how fun it is! We grew up going down to Lake Powell every summer. We haven't been for quite a while because my parents sold their boat. This was the closest thing to Lake Powell that I can imagine.



J talks about going to the beach all the time so I knew she would love it there. And she did. She could have stayed out there and played all day long.  She wasn't scared to get in the water at all and she loved finding sea shells and making sand castles.


Every time I see her in this hat, I want one for myself! Isn't she darling in it? She loved wearing it too, and that's a big thing for J. 



Daddy took her out to the "deep part" and she loved it! She's our little fishy. 




M liked the water too, but she was much more interested in playing in the sand than getting wet.  


We rented this fun paddle boat for us to all share for a couple of hours. It was so much fun. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  It was a lot easier than I expected it to be.  Until we tried it with two people. We couldn't keep it balanced. It made for some good fun and laughs though. 



Remember THIS post about how much I miss taking pictures of whatever I want, particularly landscape?



This is what I mean by that. This trip was a great photography trip.  Every picture that I got of any of the kids (or anyone else really) and the pictures I got of everything else turned out great.  I couldn't decide what ones to share. 

Beach day was my favorite. I was totally back in my element. I love everything about places like Sand Hollow or Lake Powell and I always hate to leave and can't wait to get back. I could honestly stay out there forever. 


We went back to the condo in the afternoon.  It was getting really hot and the kids were getting tired. One thing I'd advise on if you're planning on going to Sand Hollow, is to take some sort of shade, there is no shade there unless you bring a canopy or an umbrella or something. 

We got everyone cleaned up and the kids down for a rest.  No one could do much because it was quiet time and everyone was pretty worn out anyway, so I decided to go for a run.  It was way too hot to run outside. I'm talking 115 degrees. No. But, we had a key to the clubhouse on site so I went over there. On the way over I saw these pretty flowers and had to take a picture because they were a great color and look like a fun flower to have in your yard. 


Any one know what they are?  I'm sure that they have to have really hot climates to grow and probably wouldn't even work in my yard for that reason. But I'd love to know more about them.

I ran 2 miles and called it good. It was time to get myself cleaned up and ready for some dinner. And that's exactly what I did. 


M had a crazy bad diaper rash from all the sand in he diaper, and somehow I forgot the diaper cream. So we had to make a quick stop at Target on the way to Brick Oven. I found the cheapest cream there and bought it. BAD IDEA! That poor little thing.  The cream was more of a gel, and it burned her little bum way worse. I felt so bad. She was a trooper though.  After dinner we went to the splash pad. We were all about staying cool and playing in the water. 





Right by the splash pad there was a carousal so we took the girls on it. M was a little unsure at first but J loved every second of that. 

We let them play in the water for quite a while before heading back to the condo again.  But when we did, we got the kids ready for bed and tucked them in.  They were all so tired.  

Once they were all asleep, the adults played card games. It's not very often that you can get my dad to play a game with you. So we had to take that opportunity.  


The next morning we got up and ready to do some hiking.  One reason I really love Utah is that you can do things like going to the beach and hiking all in the same weekend.  

We went up Jenny's Canyon.  It's a really easy hike, only about a half mile. All the kids made it on their own, except M who we carried in a back pack. 


When you hike Jenny's Canyon, you can hike to the little slot canyon, or the look out. The paths are right by each other, and they are both really short. So we did both. 


This is the slot Canyon. It looks like its deeper than it is. 


J hiked right by Grandpa the whole time.  She wanted to be in front with him. 

The girls were sad to leave, and so were we. But when we got done with the hike, it was time for us to head back to our own home.  

It's always fun to go on vacation, but sometimes it's really nice to get back home and be in your own place.


Do you have any fun vacations planned for the summer?

What is your favorite place to be?

Are you a beach person or a mountain person?






2 comments:

  1. This looks like so much fun!! Beautiful photos, and beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete