Wednesday, June 17, 2015

What I Would Change About My Wedding and Some Planning Tips

June is wedding month. Doesn't it seem like all the weddings happen around June?  When ever June rolls around and we start getting wedding announcements or seeing weddings happening around town, I'm always reminded of the child hood dream I had to be the best wedding planner and photographer around.  Obviously, that's not something that came to be. And probably for good reason. But I thought it would be fun to share my favorite things about my own wedding, and what I'd do differently if I could go back in time.





What I loved:


1. My food. Everyone who knows me, knows I'm a big food person. I love really good food. For me, that only means one thing for a good catered wedding: Marvelous catering I can not even explain to you guys how amazing this food is. We did a desert bar. Lots of cheese cake and this really, to-die-for-good slush. They do different flavors. If you're looking for a good caterer, this is your place.




2. My reception location.  We had ours at the Sleepy Ridge Golf Course in Vineyard, Ut. It was beautiful.  While I always dreamed of having an outdoor reception, that just isn't super possible in the middle of October.  Our wedding day was really windy, so outside just wasn't going to work well. But, the sleepy ridge golf course has a beautiful sunset room that has a balcony that you could go out on if the weather is warm enough.



3. My dress. I loved my dress. It was the first one I tried on, it took a lot of time getting it here, but it was worth it.



4. My flowers were so pretty. I loved my bouquet. The colors and the kinds of flowers we chose were so perfect.






What I'd Change:


1. I would make sure to get enough rest, and take some extra vitamin C.  I got sick the day before my wedding with a really bad cold.  It was awful! Luckily, I got some good rest and had lots of prayers for me. I felt fine through the whole ceremony, and then slept most of the day until the reception.


2.  I wouldn't hire a wedding planner. I could have saved that money and had it go to something more important to me. After all, I loved planning weddings. This was more my parents idea so the stress level wouldn't be so high. Honestly, I didn't feel stressed about anything except for the fact that my dress was stuck in customs and we had to end up using the model dress. At least we saved a little money on it that way.


3. I would hire a videographer. This was just starting to be a big thing when I got married.  I wish now that I would have looked more into it.  Mostly because when the day is done, I wanted something besides pictures to look back on, but I didn't have that.


4. Lastly, I loved my photographer. She was fantastic, especially being about eight months pregnant at the time. But, as much as I loved my photographer, I look at my sister's wedding pictures and I always love them so much more! If I could change that, I'd beg my sister's brother in law to take my pictures. (He'd rather do any other pictures than wedding pictures. I know this because he begged me to take his brother's pictures so that he wouldn't have to.) But I'd spend more time finding a photographer that I absolutely loved. Not just one that I liked enough.




Here are a few tips to help you plan your wedding:


  • Make a list of what is most important to you in your wedding. Is it great pictures, great food, location? Do you HAVE to have a killer dress? Make sure you prioritize your needs so you know what to spend money on and where to save a little
  • Ask your fiance what they think. A lot of girls think their men don't want anything to do with the planning but, that's not always the case. It can take a lot of stress out of it when you have a second opinon.
  • Make things easy. For example, instead of buying bridesmaid dresses, I just told them the colors, and asked them to wear one of the colors with black. I didn't have to worry about everyone matching, I didn't have to worry about them hating or loving their dress. Everyone was happy.
  • Start planning as soon as you can, give yourself time to really plan out the details. I only had six weeks. You want more time than that. 
  • Ask for help. If you're doing a lot of the little details on your own, ask for help from friends and family to make sure everything gets done. It also makes for some great memories. 




What is your top priority for weddings?

How long have you been married?

Any great wedding stories out there?

2 comments:

  1. I planned my wedding pre-Pinterest. Sometimes I wonder what I would've done differently if I'd had it, looking at all the different ways people did things instead of just going with tradition. But I guess it doesn't really matter either way, 12 years later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that all the time! I'm sure it would have been way easier to plan my wedding with Pinterest.

      Delete