Monday, June 1, 2015

Salsas and Moles

I love mexican food.  So when I saw this book on Blogging for Books, I knew I had to try it. And I'm so glad that I did.


This book is chucked full of really great recipes and instructions on making all different kinds of salsas and moles. I obviously haven't tried all the recipes yet, but I got to try a few of them.

What I like about this book is that there is a ton of great instruction. It explains, very well, the correct way of doing things to make the best salsa or mole you can. In fact, at the beginning of the book, it explains that technique is just as important, if not more important in salsa making, than the ingredients. So this book has really great tips and explains everything out very well.


So, the recipes I have tried so far were Northern Style Tomato Salsa, and Basic Guacamole. I'll talk about the salsa first.



First off, I won't make this recipe again. I just didn't love the taste. I'm sure there is someone out there who would make this and it would be their favorite salsa recipe. It just didn't do it for me. This turned out to be an extra mild, sweet salsa. And it would have been pretty chunky as well, but since I don't love my salsa chunky, I blended it. It was ok, but I have had better.




The next recipe I made was the Guacamole. Let me just start off this one by saying, I HATE guacamole. I don't like avocados. at all. I just don't. I made this one more for my daughter because she loves them. So when I got done making it, and I tried a little bit, I was shocked that I actually really loved this recipe. It tasted so good. And honestly changed my feelings about guacamole. As long as it's made similar to this recipe, I'm in.
It was easy, it was tasty, and I only needed six ingredients to make it, so it was also cheap. It took me all of ten minutes (or less) to make it, and it was gone pretty fast too. Next time, I'm doubling the recipe.



The only thing I wish was different about this book, is that I wish there were more pictures. There are quite a few in there, but I wish there was a picture for every recipe. Just because I like to know what my dish, or in this case salsa or mole, is supposed to look like when I'm done.

I received this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own. 



What is your favorite mexican restaurant? 

Do you like Guacamole or salsa better?

No comments:

Post a Comment