Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Go Ahead and Like It: Book Review

This little book was a good idea. It wasn't much in the area of story telling or anything, but the idea of making lists of things that you like is a good idea.


Jacqueline Suskin started making lists of things that she liked when a new friend handed her a list of things that he liked. She noticed that by doing that, he allowed her to get to know him in a quick and intimate way. She immediately knew things that she probably wouldn't know about him for years otherwise. So she took to writing lists.


She writes lists of things she likes when she's in the car, in her garden, sitting at home, or any other time. She talks about how when you're in a low state of life, making lists of things will not magically make everything better, but it will help you see the good in situations. (I really liked that idea).
She also explains that she uses list making as a memory exercise. Just as people do crossword puzzles to keep their minds sharp, she makes lists of things she likes from her past. She writes them all down and keeps them so that later on she can spread them out on the table and remember all the things that she likes. Sometimes it helps her come up with new things to write about. (Another idea that I really liked).

I was a little bugged when I started reading this book and realized it was a bunch of stuff that the author liked and why she liked making lists. But, as I read it, I agreed with her reasoning and the whole idea of this kind of list making in general.
I felt it could help me in my life. Help me with writing this blog (after all this is a blog about all the things I like most.), help me with being more positive in my life, help me help others be more positive, and help me get to know people better.


If you're looking for a way to brighten your day a little more, be more appreciative of the small things around you, celebrate the every day things, then this is a good book (and idea) for you.

Because this is all about lists of things we like, here are a few I can think of right now:

  • I like sunshine
  • I like my back yard
  • I like getting packages and mail
  • I like buying people gifts
I like finding little surprises in the dollar section at Target.


I received this book from Blogging for Books in exchange for a honest review. All opinions are my own.


What do you like to makes lists of?

No comments:

Post a Comment