Friday, May 22, 2015

From Plan to Post: How I Write My Blog

Blogging started out as something I knew very little about. For example, I didn't know that most bloggers write their posts before they actually post them. I didn't understand how someone could get paid to blog. I didn't really know why people even read some blogs.

When I started out, I felt like it was a lot more work than I was sure I wanted to take on. But as I got more into it, I learned ways to make things easier. And I'm still learning, but here is my blogging process. This is how I find time to blog.



First things first, decide on a schedule. I usually blog at least 3 times a week, but sometimes I try to blog Monday-Friday. You can count on a post for sure Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. The other days are what I call bonus days.
(I'm working on another little project on the side of this blog. Which, hopefully, you'll be able to start seeing more about soon. Until then, you can enjoy what I have here.)


I got a calendar and started scheduling specific posts. I look at my calendar every day and, if I need, I do some switching around or adjusting posts. I schedule new post ideas and then I write notes at the bottom for things I need to do, check into, or anything else I need to remember for blogging.


I brainstorm things to write about. Sometimes this can be the hardest part for me. Since my blog is a pretty broad niche (things that I love an want to share) I have a lot of things that I can write about. One way that I found that helps to come up with these ideas is to look through magazines. A lot of them have articles like "10 ways to have the best yard" so when I see those it always helps me come up with my own "10 ways to..." posts.
But for most of the things I write on my blog, I come up with them during my day. There are a lot of things that I think of during the day and that I like enough that I want to share with all of you. When I think of something I want to post, I write it down on my list and then it gets scheduled.


Writing the post is the fun part, but sometimes I struggle with the way I want to write it. I usually write it all, then let it set until the next day, when I go back to it and revise it. Then I start adding pictures or graphics. I let it set another day and then go back to it again to make sure I'm still liking the flow. If not, I change it. If I am feeling good about it. I schedule it on Blogger to post on the day I want it to go live.


The day before it goes live, I check over it again. Make any last minute changes that I need. Fix spelling and grammar errors and then save it. It goes live the following morning.


That's not the whole process though. I still work on that post by advertising it.  The day it goes live, I share the link twice on Facebook and Twitter and sometimes on Pinterest and Instagram.  The more people who see those posts the better.  I think that's my least favorite thing about blogging though. I've never liked posting my own stuff on social media. I feel like I'm being pushy when I do.



Then through out the day, when I have a few minutes here and there, I will answer to comments, or emails from readers.

Blogging can take a lot of work. It's definitely a big hobby and It is definitely something that, when possible, you should be paid for.  But it's more than that for me. I've really loved being able to put my thoughts down someplace and share my favorite things with my readers. I've also loved getting to know other bloggers who comment on my blog or that I read from regularly.


Do you have a creative routine?

4 comments:

  1. I usually post M,W,F but I most definitely do not have a schedule. I've tried making a blogging calendar, but it has never worked for me. I just write about things that I think of or thing that have happened that week or whatever. I know what you mean about feeling pushy linking to your blog on social media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to get the hang of scheduling my posts on a calendar. But, you definitely have to find a system that works for you.

      Delete
  2. I still can't get it together enough to make an editorial calendar for my blog and plan my posts ahead of time. Which is why I'm usually not on the ball enough to think ahead to write a post in time for Mother's Day or my birthday, or even spring cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the blogs I follow doesn't have much of a schedule, or I just don't know what the sch rule is yet. Either way, she's one of my favorite bloggers because her blog is so down to earth and simple.

      Delete