Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Top 10 Children's Books to read Over and Over

Growing up, I didn't have a love for books until I was eleven and Harry Potter came into my life. After that, I was almost always reading something. I knew that I wanted to teach my kids to love books like that from the start. So when J was teeny-tiny, I started reading to her. We read books all day long. So much that we both had them memorized really quickly. And that proved a very positive thing in her language development. She knew her ABC's at 18 months and was quoting her favorite books.
With M, I have felt really bad about this, but we just haven't done as good on reading. She doesn't share that interest yet. She wants to be up and moving. But when we do get her to settle down, she brings me the books that she likes over and over again. A lot of them are the same books J loved.
So I thought I'd share with you some of the books that we love to read at our house. Here are a few of our favorites.




-We're Going On A Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen. We have two copies of this in our house. They are both pretty warn out and loved. Both of my girls love this book. When we don't have it with us to read, we recite it and act it out.
It's a book about a family bear hunt. When they find a bear, they decide that it wasn't such a great idea in the first place. The pictures are great, the story is easy to remember and fun for kids to act out.


-I Love You Through And Through by Bernadette Rossetti-Shustak. This one is such a cute book about every thing we love about our kids. From top to bottom and inside out. It's rhyme-y and quick to read at bed time or any other time. And it's great for helping teach kids body parts like fingers and toes. I would highly suggest getting this one for anyone with a baby or young kids.


- The Berenstien Bears and the Big Road Race by Stan and Jan Berenstien. This is one from my childhood. It's always been a favorite. It teaches colors, and it teaches about not giving up. Brother bear is in a road race against bigger, faster cars. But he doesn't give up and stop racing, even when he's in last place. He just keeps on putting. And he ends up winning the race. This is another fun, rhyme-y book that your kids will catch onto quickly.


-Stella. Any of the Stella books by Marie-Louise Gay. We found these books from the cartoon based off of them. The cartoon is darling, it's about Stella and her brother Sam and all of their adventures together. We love Stella because it teaches about how to use your imagination. Which, I feel is kind of a problem now days. All most kids want to do is play video games or on the ipads and watch TV. This book is really refreshing because it's a reminder of how much fun you can have just playing outside. Plus Stella is super smart to her little brother, Sam. And I love the sibling love they have for each other.


- Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson. This is a classic that I honestly hadn't read until I had kids. But I really quickly fell in love with it. Harold decides to draw himself a quick little walk before bed time. He has a fun little adventure then draws up his bed and falls to sleep. I don't know what it is about this one but I just love it.


- Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell. M loves this one because she loves all the animals. Every time the zoo sends a new "pet" she makes the animal sound. Plus, how fun would it be to write to the zoo and have them send you the perfect pet?


-Pretty Princess Pig by Jane Yolen and Heidi E. Y. Stemple. This is another rhyme-y book and it's so cute. Princess pig is trying so hard to make the perfect tea part but doesn't notice that it's really not so perfect. Her guests are very polite not to say anything about the mess though. We scored this one at a library sale (We love library sales, $1 for a book, tons of awesome books to choose from, can't lose).


-Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are? by Dr. Seuss. Who doesn't love Dr Seuss? This is one from my childhood. My uncle had it memorized and any time one of us started to complain about something, he would start reciting it. It always made us stop, not really because we felt so bad for the people in the story, it was just really awesome to hear him recite it. It impressed me so much that I decided to memorize it so that when I was having a bad day, I could think about it.
While this is a little longer book and geared for a little older audience, Jay still loves it and will sit and listen to it. And someday, when she's a little older and starts to complain about how hard life is, I will recite it to her and hopefully she will buck up.


- Go Dogs Go! by P.D. Eastman. This is a fun one and an easy one to memorize. Sometimes it gets stuck in your head. This is a good one when you first start reading to your babies. We try to make it exciting in different ways. More for me than the kids, because I've read it so many times. So we make up actions to help them remember what comes next. It's really cute and fun.


- The Jolly Postman by Janet and Allan Ahlberg. This is one I grew up with and I remember loving because it has little letters you can read.  "Once upon a bicycle, so they say, a Jolly Postman came one day from over the hills and far away...with a letter for..." And you get to read all the letters to the classic fairytale characters. The letters are kind of fun and whit-y.   The book is really well designed. It has built in envelopes with pull out letters in them. This is a fun one for a little older kids to read on their own, although Jay loves to look at it before bed as well.


What are some of your favorite books from your childhood, or even books you read to your kids now?



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these! I haven't read most of them. From my own childhood, I loved Dr. Suess and Little Golden books. There was this one book I'll always remember that I checked out from the Bookmobile randomly one time. It was a book about a young girl going on a road trip with her aunt; It's called Just Us Women by Jeanette Caines. To this day I love a good road trip and my girl time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds cute! I will have to find it so I can share it with my girls. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Good list. I love Harold and the Purple Crayon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hadn't ever read Harold until I found it at a library sale this year. Crazy huh? But it quickly became a favorite.

      Delete