Friday, January 30, 2015

Time Saving Tips

Time is something most of us wish we had more of. We have a list of things we need to get done and by the end of the day, we notice that only half of them got done. So, here are some great time saving tips for you today.


Schedule: I've never been a big planner. I don't usually have lists of stuff that I have to do or time planned out for every little thing. But I do have a schedule for the week. Mine looks like this:

Sunday: Church from 1:00 pm- 3:00 pm

Monday: Gym 5:30 am - 7:15 am
               Laundry day
               Grocery shopping
               Blog post

Tuesday: Cleaning day
                Crowdtap
                Running

Wednesday: Costco trip if needed
                     Blog Post
                     Running

Thursday: Any other errands
                 Crowdtap
                 
Friday: Running or gym 6:00 am- 7:00 am
            Play day
            Blog post 

Saturday: Free day to do what ever we need

So, as you can see, I only have a few things that are set in stone time-wise. This is mostly because I have kids so that are home with me so I have to be really flexible with when we go to the store or do our other things. As long as those things get done that day, the rest of my to-do list is on a "when I have time" basis.

Prioritize: What is really the most important thing to do that day? What ever it is, try to focus on that thing first, then go to the next thing. You'll notice that once you get yourself going and marking off your check list, it will be so much easier for you to keep going. "A body in motion, tends to stay in motion"
  When you're working on something that is on your schedule, don't try to multi task. It just ends up taking more time to get the important stuff done that way.

Organize: Make sure your house has a good organization plan so that when you're in a rush out the door, you always know where your keys and wallet are. You want to make sure your know where all of your stuff is, so when you need it, you can go grab it and get on the move again. When I'm worried about forgetting something I need to return, like a library book or a redbox movie, I put it in or by my purse so when I see it, I'll remember to go drop it off on my way to run my other errands.
I keep my purse in the same place all the time. When I need to remember to take something with me, it goes right by my purse.


Don't waste time: Duh, this is a no brainer. But it happens all the time. You think that you have two extra minutes before you have to leave so you can make that quick phone call. Before you know it, it's been 15 minutes and your friend is still telling you about the funny thing their kids did yesterday. Save those "to-dos" for last. If you leave for the bank two minutes early, you might get back early too and then you can make that phone call.

Pick and choose: Somedays we only have time for one thing. Don't agree to something you know you don't have time for. If someone wants to have a play date, and you already scheduled going to the library with your kids, try to schedule it on a day you know is slower than others. You can either do the play date, or go to the library.

Plan ahead: Kids are not planners. They don't have to go to the bathroom until they are in the car. They don't think they are hungry until we are heading out the door. So, remember to have them go to the bathroom first, grab a snack before you leave so that you don't have to go back in and grab one. Babies always have the big blow outs when you're not home. Plan to have that happen so you don't have to rush home and grab a diaper. I keep a diaper and an extra pair of clothes in my purse when I'm taking a baby around with me.
Everything I need to get on the go quickly is kept neatly in my purse.

Phone-less time: For me, this is when I'm most productive. We are living in a world that our phones run our lives. Every day, when my kids are doing quiet time, I have phone-less time. I keep my phone in a completely different place and I put it on silent so that I'm not tempted to go answer it or see who facebooked me. This is the time I get to work on things for me. My blog, Crowdtap, answering emails, editing pictures, etc. Then, when my check list is all marked off, I get to spend time on my phone, or reading a book or whatever else I want to do for "me time".

What are your favorite tips for saving time or getting things done? What is your biggest time waster?



No comments:

Post a Comment