Monday, January 26, 2015

How Exercise Fits Into My LIfe



One thing I’ve always been grateful for and loved to do is exercise. God gave us these amazing bodies. He wants us to take care of them and He gave us those tools to do so. Some people struggle with working out though, and it’s not always easy to find time and energy to do it. Here are some ways that exercise fits into my life.


The reasons I exercise:

          I exercise because I love it. I love that it makes me feel stronger, happier, more focused, energetic, productive and calmer all day long. It helps me sleep better. It helps me concentrate on things that I need to do and that are important to me. 
       Exercise gives me time to reflect on my life and figure out the problems that I'm dealing with. It helps me come up with better solutions. It helps me feel better about my trials. 
     There are countless benefits to working out. Not all of them are health benefits (though so many are), and they differ for everyone. 



How:

           How I make time for exercise. I make time for it. I schedule it in so that my husband and kids know when I'm going and how long I'll be. This is what my schedule looks like:

Monday: Power pump class at the gym 5:30 am -7:15 am. 

Tuesday: Running at the clubhouse  8:00 pm -8:30 pm

Wednesday: Running 8:00 pm- 9:00 pm

Thursday: Take a break

Friday: Free work out (this just means I do what ever I feel like that morning.) 6:00 am-7:00 am

Saturday: possible run whenever I can 

Sunday: take a break 

            I know this schedule won't work for everyone. Everyone has different lives and different things going on during their day. Find time that you have even just a few minutes to squeeze something in. If you work full time, and don't have time after or before work to get a work out in, try doing something while you're at work. I know this sounds a little distracting from work, that's not what I mean. What I mean is that you can take a few minutes at lunch time, before you eat, to go do a couple sets of stairs. Do an Insanity block or two. Or you can take a sack lunch and go to a park where you can eat it and walk around. You'll be amazed at how much more alert you feel after and how much more work you can get done. 
            

            How I work out, what I do to get exercise. Sometimes it’s hard just to know what to do. You want to do something that is fun for you. As you can tell from my schedule, my thing is running.  I’ve always loved it. But, running isn’t for everyone. If you’re struggling to think of things to do, try a gym class. You learn the right way to do things. They are fun and you meet new people. After you’ve been there for a while, people notice when you’re gone, so you feel sort of responsible for going back.
            If a gym class isn’t your thing, try finding a new sports hobby. Try biking, running, a dance class, yoga, pilates, rock climbing, hiking, swimming…There are countless ideas. Or if you're working out during your lunch break, and don't have much time, find some quick, easy exercises to do at your desk. 

            How I keep it up.  I keep it up because I have a drive. I make goals for myself. I love to see improvement so it’s pretty easy for me to keep going back. Some days, just like everyone else, I just don’t feel like it. And that’s ok. It’s alright to take a day off. Don’t burn your self out; just don’t make a habit of being lazy.
            Find motivation. Just like you bribe your toddler with a prize when he/she fills out their potty chart, find something you want, make a goal chart and start filling it out. Get a work out buddy. Find someone who has the same goal and hold each other responsible for going everyday. Put a picture or an inspirational quote up to remind you why you want to work out.


What are some of your favorite tips to making exercise fit into your life? What gets you out the door when all you really want to do is eat ice cream in your p.j.s?




You may also like: Goal setting, 6 tips for motivation

No comments:

Post a Comment