Friday, January 9, 2015

Eat: book review

I've been part of a group called blogging for books for a little while now, I love doing it, because who doesn't love free books? This time I got a book called Eat by Nigel Slater. It's a cook book that has some really great, easy recipes in it.


Most of the recipes in it seemed a little intimidating at first because they have ingredients that I don't ever use and some I've never heard of. But it turned out to have some really quick dinner ideas that are super easy.

So I wanted to share this recipe with you. I made it for dinner last night and it was a pretty good dinner. My kids loved it and we didn't even have left overs.

Light Chicken Ragu
feeds 2 

What you need:
14 oz chicken breast
2 cloves Garlic
Green onion
1 Tbs lemon thyme
2 Tbs parsley
salt and pepper
2 Tbs flour.
1 2/3 cup chicken stock
fresh lemon juice
4 ounces fettuccine

Cut the chicken in to small pieces and brown in a little butter or olive oil. Slice onion and garlic and add as the chicken browns. Stir in thyme, parsley and a little salt and pepper and flour. Cook for a couple of minutes and then add chicken stock. Let simmer for 15 minutes stirring regularly. Check the seasoning and adjust where needed. finish with a squeeze of lemon.
Cook 4 ounces of pasta (I used regular spaghetti because thats what we had but it would probably be better with a little thicker noodle like fettuccine.) When it's cooked, drain the pasta and add the sauce.
I sprinkled a little parmesan cheese on it. You can't do pasta with out it. Next time I think I'd add just a little cream to the sauce to make it just a little creamier than it turned out. 

What I liked about this recipe, as well as some of the others I tried from this book, is that it was super easy to make. It didn't take much time. And, the flavors were really fresh and light and almost summery.

There are still a ton of recipes that I haven't tried, and honestly some I know I wont try because I just don't like fish. But this has turned out to be a pretty good cook book. It's a good one for someone who needs some new ideas in the kitchen.
If you're interested in this book, go here for more info.

What are your go to recipes? How do you make them different when you need a change?


No comments:

Post a Comment