Monday, January 12, 2015

DIY Purse Organizer

A couple of weeks ago, I got a new purse. I wanted something that I could use as a diaper bag too, but not something huge like a lot of purses are now days. I've mentioned before, I'm not one for accessories and I've never liked to carry a purse. But, I can tell you now that I like carrying a purse way more than a diaper bag. I feel like diaper bags are so bulky and I never want to put my hand in there because of all the nasty crumbs and crap you feel...anyway. So I got this new purse and I'm loving it. The only problem was is that it didn't have a lot of organization. Then  I saw this on Studio 5. Looked super easy, so I thought I'd give it a try.

So, here is how you make it. You guys, it took me about 10 minutes. That's it. Anyone who has a sewing machine can make this.


Start with a placemat. On studio 5, they say you want one that's cloth but thats thick enough that when you fold it up and let go, it falls back into place. I had this old placemat, that I'd never used. 


You fold it in thirds and then pin it in the middle, that's where you're fold seam is going to be.

Then you're going to measure things like your phone, pens, hand sanitizer..anything that you are going to put in the organizer. 

To measure, just lay the item on the placemat and put a pin where you want another seam. On the show, they mention that you can also put a piece of painters tape down the length of the organizer, that will help you sew a straight line the whole way down.

Once all of the pockets are marked, sew the sides down and then you just sew straight lines where you've measured. You'll end up with something like this. 


I did a pocket for my phone, 2 pens and gum or sanitizer on one side and one big pocket on the other side for an extra diaper or check book or my wallet. 

I think it turned out pretty great and it was super easy. Like I said, it only took me about ten minutes. It fits great in my bag. I'm sure that this is going to be something that I make over and over for gifts or for other bags or just to switch things up when I want. 

What is your least favorite thing about a disorganized bag? What would you put in your organizer?



No comments:

Post a Comment