Friday, January 23, 2015

"Come What May, And love it"

I'm so glad that it's time for this link up again! I love to take the time to review how things are going for me and to see how things are for everyone else. So thanks, Jenna and Kerry, for the chance to do that.



Here is an update on one of my goals for this year, being content. To me this means that I'm happy with how things are in my life. Or at least working towards being happy about them. I haven't felt like I've put a ton of effort into this goal yet but at the same time, I already feel improvement.
 Right now Trevon is his last semester at school. He has one night class and he has to put a lot of time into studying. This can be really hard for me because by the time we sit down to eat dinner, I'm just done for the day. I want to relax and read a book, or watch a movie, or go running. I don't want to have to worry about getting the kids ready for bed and listening to them yell for me for another hour. Most nights Trevon is home and can work on homework while I go running, and I'm very thankful for that. So I've been trying not to worry about it when he has to spend extra time at work or go back to school.

 When I do get to go running, I've been listening to some of the LDS General Conference talks instead of music. I wasn't sure how this was going to work because music usually pumps me up pretty good. I've found, though, that listening to the talks not only takes my mind off of how far I've gone, but it also teaches me something. It comforts me, it lightens my spirit and makes me feel loved and looked out for.

 There have been several talks that have stuck out to me and have helped me with the goal of being more content. The first one is Come What May, And Love It.  This talk was so great because Joseph B. Wirthlin taught about how things are going to happen in life that we don't always love. "Every day has peaks and shadows. And times when it seems that the birds don't sing and the bells don't ring. yet in spite of discouragement and adversity, those who are happiest seem to have a way of learning from difficult times, becoming stronger, wiser, and happier as a result." 

 He talks about how we need to learn to laugh, Seek for the eternal, Trust in God, and the principle of compensation. I think this talked helped me realize that the way we react to things can determine if you're happy or not. He says "Have you ever seen an angry driver who, when someone else makes a mistake, reacts as though that person has insulted his honor, his family, his dog, and his ancestors all the way back to Adam? Or have you had an encounter with an overhanging cupboard door left open at the wrong place and the wrong time which has been cursed, condemned, and avenged by a sore-headed victim?" then he goes on to say that instead of getting upset about things like this, we should learn to laugh about them. Every one can relate to at least one of those examples. I found myself this week laughing a little more when both girls were having melt downs. Or when I went over to our club house to work out and none of the equipment worked (we really have to get out HOA to replace some stuff!)

The other talk that I liked was President Monson's talk Finding Joy in the Journey. He talks about how we need to stop wishing for future things. I find myself doing that a lot. "I wish we owned a house." "I wish the girls would stop making such a mess." "I wish Trevon was done with school." The list goes on. But President Monson talked about how fast time goes and how instead of wishing the times that are hard were over, finding joy in them. 

This talk has been on my mind the last few days because I have been noticing just how fast my kids are growing. Jay is so smart, she's starting preschool soon. She is funny and beautiful and, for the most part, a really good girl. Mags is already 15 months old. She's getting such a great, happy personality and she's not scared of trying anything. I know it sounds cliche, but time really did go so fast. Sometimes I wish I could go back and have them be tiny again. But instead of dwelling on the past I need to enjoy where we are in life now. 

Life is all about making memories and learning new things. I've been trying to remember that and find fun things to teach and show the girls. I want them to experience things. I want to be a fun mom. (on the other hand I want my girls to know they can't get away with certain things). I need to let them be little and explore things out. 

So, anyway, I feel like this goal is going pretty well so far. I feel like I'm reminding my self more often that I need to slow down and let my kids enjoy life. I feel like I'm not doing a lot of wishing time to move faster. I feel more happy and content where I am as of right now.

What are some ways you remind yourself to slow down and enjoy the way things are in the moment?

4 comments:

  1. Stopping by from the Coffee Date linkup, and I'm so glad I did because being content and intentional are my biggest goals this year! Thank you for your words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you enjoyed reading my post and that someone got something they needed from it. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. I've been trying to slow down and enjoy the moment...especially in teaching. I know I'm being lead away from being a homeroom teacher, so even though I'm so ready to get out of the classroom, I'm savoring the little moments.

    Thanks for sharing this today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. I think it's hard to enjoy the small things when they are the things we do everyday. Those are usually the things we don't even think about.

      Delete