Wednesday, January 14, 2015

20 minute pajama pants

Do you ever get tired of spending tons of money on kids clothes that they grow out of in a month? I do. I feel like the prices can be so ridiculous for something they are only going to wear for a couple of months.   I decided to try to make pajama pants, instead of buy some. It was something I learned from my grandma and, although I hadn't done much sewing since then, I needed to try my sewing machine out. So I started looking on pinterest for an easy pattern and I found a patternless pajama pant tutorial and decided to try it out. (the link isn't working for the pattern I found, other wise I'd share that.)

First, you need about 1 1/2 yards of fabric (I used flannel because its super soft and warm), 1 yard of 3/4" to 1" elastic, old pj pants, scissors,  thread, sewing machine.

Fold your fabric in half long ways. Fold the old pj pants in half and lay them down on the fabric so that the legs of the pants are on the fold. (You could also fold your fabric in half, long ways, again and then only cut once.)
Some of the tutorials I have found say to cut around the pants but I felt better tracing them first. These pants are a little short but currently fit Ladie so I added 4" to the bottom. Be sure to also add about 1/2" to the side for seams. After tracing the pants twice (one for each leg), I cut them out using a rotary cutter. 

You should have two shapes like this. 


Turn the legs inside out and sew a straight line from the bottom of the pants to the crotch on both legs.

Turn one leg right side out and put it inside the other leg. The two right sides will be touching.


Line the seams up and pin the crotch area like this:


Sew a line from the top of the pants, down to the other seam. I'd double stitch both sides because this area gets a lot of wear. Then turn the pants inside out. 


Now you're going to hem it. Fold the bottom up about 1/2-3/4" and press it so that it will sew a little straighter. 

Next is the waist band. Fold over about 1", maybe a little more than that and press it. Sew a straight seam all the way around. Leave about a 2" gap where you can put the elastic in. 


To put the elastic in, put a safety pin on one end of the elastic, and insert it into one side of the waste band. Ease it all the way through until the it pulls through the other end. Sew the two ends of elastic together and cut the excess off. Then, to finish the pants, sew the hole closed. 




There you have it. Pajama pants, with out a pattern, in around 20 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment