Thursday, December 11, 2014

Unselfish Service

As I was thinking of what to write about today, I decided to say a quick prayer and ask our Heavenly Father what He would want me to write today. So I hope that someone, somewhere needed this message today. This is what I felt I needed to share. This is a "mormon message" that I came across this afternoon and wanted to share with all of you. You don't have to be Mormon to know the truth in this message of Unselfish service.


I'm so thankful for the family I was born into and for the example of service that my entire family was to me. I was blessed to live with in a few blocks of my aunts and uncles and all of my cousins, as well as a couple houses away from both of my grandparents. Both sides of my family are great examples. When your car breaks down, you just let one uncle or your dad know and they all show up to help fix it. When you need to move, you don't even have to spread the word, somehow they all show up. When someone passes away or a baby is born, and there is a meal that needs to be brought in, my grandma was always the first to jump on board. She was always happy to teach me something new. She was the first person I went to when I got my first bee sting as a kid and didn't know how to take care of it. She stopped what she was doing the second I walked in and put witch hazel on it to take the sting out. There our countless other examples to me of service. 

As the Christmas season approaches I have felt the need to teach my girls something about service. They might be young but that's the best time to learn it. And the bets way to learn it is through doing and through example. I know I already said I was going to start working on this but I'm going to make a goal now to do one act of service at least once a week. And, I'm going to include my girls in it in any way that I can. That's a big thing for me because I have some weird anxiety thing going on with messes lately. 

Who wants to join me? Is anyone interested in doing some sort of service link up? Somewhere we can share each other's ideas of serving others? Think of all the happiness we can share by serving each other. And I think we need that in the world we have today. I'd love to get some fun service ideas from you. Comment if you have any!

No comments:

Post a Comment