Monday, December 8, 2014

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup

This is one of my favorite soups to make. It's so yummy and not too hard. I believe originally this recipe came from foodnetwork.com but I tweaked it just a tiny bit here and there to make it the way I like it.

You'll need:
2 1/2 lbs or tomatoes. (I usually use roamas but any tomato will do)
4 cloves of garlic peeled, more if you like.
1 small yellow onion
olive oil
salt and pepper
1 quart of chicken stock
2 bay leaves
4 tbs butter
1Tbs- 1/4 c basil depending on your taste
3/4 c heavy cream

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut tomatoes and onion in halves, place on a cookie sheet. Drizzle olive oil and salt and pepper over tomatoes, onion, and garlic. Roast for 20-30 minutes or until caramelized. Transfer to a large pot.

Add 3/4 of the chicken stock, bay leaves, and butter. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.

Add Basil. Remove from heat and use a hand blender to puree the soup until smooth. (I used to do it that way but I got an awesome Blendtec blender fro Christmas last year so I got rid of my hand blender and use that instead. I highly suggest that if you have one. It turns out much smoother that way.)

Return the heat to low and add cream. Adjust the consistency with the remaining stock. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Note: If you're using a blendtec or any other kind of blender, I suggest you break it up and blend it in groups. Otherwise you'll have a huge, hot mess (seriously hot though) to clean up and you won't have dinner. 


No comments:

Post a Comment