Thursday, October 23, 2014

Mean Green Tortilla Soup

This is one of Trevon's favorite soups that I make. I like it because its pretty easy to make and really easy to change if you need.  I believe this recipe originally came from Rachel Ray, I use her recipe but changed somethings for my family. So, I'm posting the recipe that I use.

1 chicken breast
2 Tbs olive oil
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 jalapeno
2 cups chicken stalk
1/2 cup water
1 15 oz bottle of green taco sauce (I use LaVictoria brand)
1/4 cup cilantro
zest and juice of 2 limes
 1 cup corn

Cut up the chicken into cubes. Brown the chicken with olive oil in a large soup pot on medium heat.



Dice onion and add to the pot with cumin and garlic. Cook until the onions are clear. Dice and add the jalapeno (seeds and stem removed).



Add 2 cups of chicken stalk, water, and green sauce. Add finely chopped cilantro. Zest the limes right into the soup and add the juice.  Add frozen corn.


Serve with a dollop of sour cream, some Mozzarella cheese and tortilla chips. 



This recipe can be pretty spicy so if you need to adjust the heat, it's so easy to use more or less onion, jalapeno, cilantro, garlic....etc. It really is one of the easiest recipes to adjust.

I'm always looking for new soup recipes. Do you have one I should try? Post it in the comments and I'll test it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment